Software Engineer Intern
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
When it comes to engineering, we solve problems of scale and work on cutting edge and open-source technologies. As a high-growth, e-commerce company, we are searching for talented and passionate software engineer interns. Our culture is one that strives on solving difficult problems focusing on product engineering based on hypothesis testing to empower people to come up with ideas. We address a wide array of computer science problems including advanced web applications, cutting edge user interfaces, scalability and performance of applications, intelligent search algorithms, global data distribution and monitoring of distributed systems. You will work alongside a highly experienced team of engineers from various academic and industry backgrounds.
What you’ll do:
- Project Examples/Description:
- Enterprise Services Team: The HomeAway Enterprise Services team develops, manages, releases, and monitors the underlying services that drive all data and interactions with the HomeAway CRM, Contact Center, and ERP platforms as well as internally developed customer service and sales agent applications. The team employs data driven architecture to develop a smart service layer that enables in-session personalization and programmatic responses to user behavior providing AI Model scored insight and prioritization to agents supporting millions of Travelers and Homeowners. Interns can work on services that stream contact center interaction events and voice data for speech analytics and data science topic modeling using the latest HomeAway tech stack, including Kafka, MongoDB, and other AWS cloud services. Other projects include real-time monitoring tools for our intelligent call routing platform of node.js based models that provide personalized self-service options for inbound callers.
Technologies we use:
- AWS, Docker, Mesos Dropwizard, Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Swagger, Kafka, Node.JS, React.JS, Hadoop, NoSQL, Jetty, KStreams, Mesos, Splunk, DataDog, Java 8 and Linux.
Who you are:
- Our Ideal Intern:
- Currently pursuing a BS, or MS in computer science or a related technical field
- Organized problem-solving skills
- Expeience with web application development
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux/OS X environments preferred
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation
- 401k Plan
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Discounted rail and bus passes
- Free drinks and snacks
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
This role is part of HomeAway University which starts June 3rd, 2019 and lasts for 11 weeks. Learn more about our HomeAway University training program here: https://www.homeaway.com/careers/university
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.