User Research Intern
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. HomeAway is part of the Expedia Group family of brands.
HomeAway is looking for an intern to work alongside our User Research team during the summer of 2018. These internships are a unique opportunity for someone pursuing a degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Psychology, Information Science, Computer Science (or equivalent), who wishes to gain hands-on experience in a fast-paced environment.
You will have the opportunity to work with a small and collaborative team, and will be paired with one of our senior user researchers who will act as your mentor throughout the program. You’ll have the ability to see the impact of your work on the product, and learn how research is done in industry.
During the course of the internship, the UX research intern will has experience with a variety of research methods such as usability studies (in-lab, comparative, iterative, prototype, remote), card sorting, interviews and surveys.
The ideal candidate will have a strong grasp of user research principles, with a passion for collecting customer feedback that informs design and business decisions. This position requires a high degree of self-motivation, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to multitask. Strong written and verbal communication skills are a must.
What you’ll do:
- Assisting UX researchers in designing, conducting and analyzing results from a variety of research studies including usability lab studies, remote research, field studies and survey design.
- Work closely with cross-functional product teams to identify research topics, gather stakeholder requirements, and communicate actionable results.
- Contribute towards experimental design and conduct research employing a variety of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Communicate results and illustrate suggestions in compelling and creative ways, understandable by a cross-functional and cross-cultural audience.
Who you are:
- Working towards an advanced degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors or Ergonomics, Cognitive/Experimental/Behavioral Psychology, or other related field.
- Coursework in usability testing, interview facilitation, heuristic analysis, task analysis and other HCI research methods needed; hands-on project work with related research preferred (can include class projects).
- Coursework in experimental design and statistics preferred.
- Strong communication skills and detail orientation needed. Comfortable working in a fast paced professional research setting.
- Curiosity about how things work and a passion for research that helps improve user experiences
Benefits & Perks:
- Competitive compensation
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team
- Discounted rail and bus passes
- Free drinks and snacks
- Electric adjustable stand up desk
- Casual dress code
This role is part of HomeAway University which starts June 3rd, 2019 and lasts for 11 weeks. Learn more about our HomeAway University training program here: https://www.homeaway.com/careers/university
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.