ABOUT THIS POSITION
We are looking for an Associate General Counsel to lead and grow the legal function at Aceable. We need a strong legal leader who can help Aceable scale and grow both organically and through M&A in 2021 and beyond. As the sole legal representative for the company in the near term, you are not afraid of day to day execution, and are also a corporate law thought leader for small to mid size technology companies. You will report to the President.
Aceable is a mobile education platform that focuses on creating affordable, engaging, and convenient online courses available across all of your mobile devices. Built by former teachers, NASA engineers, and those passionate about education, the Austin-based team is obsessed with helping people reach life goals and milestones through online certification.
After launching its first mobile app to provide accredited driver's ed courses, Aceable expanded into real estate education and is quickly becoming one of the leading online real estate schools in the U.S. To date, Aceable touts more than 20 million students and counting. The team is proud of the hundred thousand plus students we're adding to the Aceable family per month. We're only getting started, and we need your help to get us to our vision of millions of students per month.
Aceable was named winner of the Austin Chamber of Commerce’s Austin A-List for the Hottest Growing Startup in 2017 and has been awarded as one of the Best Places to Work in Austin for multiple years running by numerous entities, such as the Austin Business Journal, BuiltInAustin, and EqualOcean. We actively work to foster a creative, collaborative, and diverse culture whose overall mission is to impact as many student-lives as possible.
ABOUT THE LEGAL TEAM
The Legal Team will be you with your full ownership of the company’s legal priorities, processes, and the potential for you to build out your legal department. You will be an integral and strategic advisor to the board and the executive and leadership team, as well as a daily legal counselor to the company’s departments.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Help lead the acquisition of new businesses, including participating in due diligence reviews; advising on deal structure; and negotiating pertinent deal documents and helping to lead integration efforts
- Manage corporate governance functions (e.g., corporate secretary, corporate compliance for the Board of Directors, etc.), and stockholder communications
- Provide practical legal advice and support across all levels of management and across all business functions, including marketing, business development, finance, product, HR, engineering, and corporate development
- Serve as a commercial/contracts attorney for all teams, providing support for a variety of agreements including NDAs, day-to-day operational agreements, vendor and services agreements, contractor agreements, etc.
- Stay up-to-date and keep functional teams advised on laws and regulations dealing with employment, privacy, etc. in order to better support business operations
- Manage outside counsel and other third party providers and resources
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- J.D.; active and in good standing with a state bar
- 6+ years of a law firm and/or in-house experience
- Broad experience with a variety of legal matters, including corporate, commercial contract negotiation, employment, compliance, marketing and privacy, corporate governance, and trademarks
- Experience working with mid-stage tech startups with institutional investor-backing, raising capital (debt and equity), and M&A, including participating in due diligence reviews
- Experience and confidence with independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements
- Results-oriented, with a strong sense of urgency and good time- and people-management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to balance legal risk with business needs and convey legal advice clearly and effectively to non-legal colleagues
- Experience working in a highly regulated industry and understanding how regulations and lawmaking affect the ability to expand the company’s reach.
- Join one of Austin's Best Places to Work in 2021
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Generous time off programs
- Flexible work schedule
- Passionate, high-achieving teammates excited to help you succeed and learn
- Our own space on the top floor of a downtown building
- A team meal every week
- Fully stocked drink fridges and snacks + cold brew coffee on tap
- Company events & activities (Holiday events, happy hours, quarterly volunteering)
- Free parking spot downtown in our garage 24/7 or a monthly transportation stipend
- Education stipend ($500/year/employee)
- Free Roadside Assistance subscription
- NOTE: Our team is currently remote due to Covid-19 and we have some awesome virtual perks that come with it (trivia, karaoke, bingo, happy hours, lunch & learns, and more)
At Aceable we celebrate and support all differences. Aceable is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital, disability, and veteran status.