Associate General Counsel at WP Engine
It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they're doing!
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
Since launching in 2010, WP Engine has become the world’s leading WordPress Digital Experience Platform (DXP), now with over 100,000 customers in 140 countries. We’re proud of the technology and service we offer our customers that move their businesses forward faster. At WP Engine, we strive to do the best work of our careers, and feel empowered to do what is right for our customers. We love investing in employee success and uncovering opportunities for you, the best, to get better. 99 percent of employees believe you’re made to feel welcome at WP Engine. Be you. Be here.
Are you a seasoned in-house attorney who is passionate about the legal issues affecting international technology companies?What's cool about this job.
This role will provide you an opportunity to contribute to the overall scalability and maturity of a rapidly growing legal team within a leading technology company.
As a team, our mission is to bring value and champion the business as trusted legal advisors, innovators, and partners.
As Senior Legal Counsel or Associate General Counsel, you will play a key role in the day-to-day operational legal activities of the business and help scale the legal team. Your responsibilities will be dynamic and will hinge on your subject matter expertise. They may include reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a wide range of agreements and advising the company on cutting-edge legal issues relating to data privacy, cybersecurity, compliance, employment matters, and software-as-a-service.The day to day.
The main responsibilities of this position will include but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Participating in all aspects of the Legal Department’s operations to support continued company growth.
- Assisting with corporate matters and projects, employment law matters, insurance procurement, regulatory compliance, litigation oversight and other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Coordinating and managing outside counsel resources and the legal matters assigned to them.
- Monitor legislation, regulations, case law, and government enforcement activities relating to corporate compliance and data privacy, and provide proactive, strategic advice to relevant partners. Partnering with executive, research, product engineering, operations, finance and human resources colleagues on various matters.
- Work closely with the Legal Department’s Legal Operations function to develop, track and regularly report on relevant KPIs, SLAs and other metrics to measure and improve the Legal Department’s performance and optimize its functions.
- Work with the broader Legal team and other internal partners to develop and implement corporate legal-related policies. Train internal teams on these policies and monitor any necessary changes to department-level procedures.
- State bar member in good standing.
- Minimum of 7 years of transactional commercial legal experience, in roles of increasing responsibility, gained in a corporate legal department and/or leading law firm, including 2+ years of leading and developing high-performing teams.
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with the business to craft solutions.
- Deep understanding of how to balance legal risk with business objectives.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and timelines based on larger company goals.
- Dedicated and comfortable providing advice and making decisions in a fast-changing environment.
- Intellectual curiosity about WP Engine’s services, and general knowledge of information technology, WordPress and software-as-a-service as a business model.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong sense of ownership and personal responsibility, with drive to cover areas of responsibility deeply and broadly.
- Excellent teammate and collaborator, with a strong client service focus. You will need to be a trusted business partner and know when to ask questions within the Legal team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to effectively explain complex legal and/or regulatory concepts and guidelines to non-legal audiences.
- Compensation (We offer market competitive salaries)
- Health Benefits (100% Paid Employee Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- 401(k) (Make the most of retirement)
- Life and Disability Insurance (100% Paid Life, STD, LTD and AD&D)
- Generous Vacation Time (Who doesn’t like time off)
- Gym membership discount
At WP Engine, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.