Associate General Counsel at Realtor.com
Move, Inc., operator of Realtor.com, is seeking a talented attorney to join its Legal team and advise the company on a range of privacy, data protection, and security-related legal and compliance initiatives as part of its privacy program. The desired candidate will have a combination of in-house counsel and top-tier law firm experience. The Associate General Counsel will report directly to the Executive Vice President and General Counsel and will be a member of a small and congenial law department.
This role is broad and among other things, involves advising clients on various legal risks and obligations under U.S. privacy laws, with a particular focus on compliance activities relating to new legislation in California (CPRA), Virginia (CPDA), and Colorado (CPA) as well as on-going compliance activities with existing domestic and international data privacy and protection laws. You will help drive initiatives across the business involving a variety of complex legal and/or regulatory issues relating to privacy compliance, data protection and third party risk management. This requires strong business acumen, a substantive knowledge of privacy laws, and the ability to both work independently and with large multi-stakeholder teams. We are looking for someone with sharp analytical and communication skills, who is diligent, proactive, collaborative, and demonstrates excellent legal and business judgment and strategic thinking.
Privacy Counsel Responsibilities
- Manage and advise on Move’s privacy program, including developing and improving privacy requirements and processes to ensure we meet our obligations under the program
- Support stakeholders across the company, including other members of the Legal team, in evaluating the impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions, and other related guidelines on new and existing products and features, partnerships and integrations
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in areas of data use and protection laws and advising the impact of the same on Move’s business
- Drive projects involving privacy analysis and compliance with stakeholders across Move’s business
- Assist with drafting and negotiating privacy/data protection/security terms for third party agreements
- Together with the Cybersecurity Team, manage potential data breach incidents, any required breach notifications, and any required remediation
- JD Degree from an ABA approved law school
- Experience/knowledge of Privacy Laws
- Member of the California Bar Association
- Minimum 7-10 years of business transactional experience in a top tier law firm
- 10+ years of collective experience working as an attorney in a large, public company
- Technology experience is highly preferred
- Ability to analyze and research complex legal issues and translate such research and analysis into practical and effective advice
- Excellent risk assessment, problem solving abilities, and exceptional business judgement
- Ability to support various business units
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously and the ability to work in a fast paced in-house environment
At realtor.com®, we believe that everyone deserves a home of their own. We’re a community of nearly 2,000 employees who work hard to ensure that from the moment someone starts dreaming about a new home, to the moment they walk in the door and beyond, we’re there to lend a helping hand. Every month, over 85 million people trust us with their journey home by visiting our site and mobile apps, and we’d love to have you join our team to help.
We’ve got great offices across Canada and the US and lots of sweet jobs to choose from, so we’re hoping you’ll join us on our journey to make home buying and selling easier, and more rewarding for everyone.
Let’s make a difference, together. For Real.
Diversity is important to us, therefore, realtor.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of age, color, national origin, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, status as a disabled veteran and/or veteran of the Vietnam Era or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, realtor.com will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified disabled individuals.