BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work," is looking for an Associate Legal Counsel – Privacy & Data Governance to join our growing, top-notch legal team in our Austin Four Points (headquarters) office.
We are seeking a key member of our team who is driven to learn about and provide advice on some of the most interesting privacy and compliance issues in SaaS. You will be exposed to a broad-spectrum of privacy issues facing a rapidly growing global e-commerce platform that empowers innovators, creative thinkers, entrepreneurs, and enterprises of all sizes. Our customers, vendors, and partners include the largest names in technology and e-commerce and, as a key member of the team, you will provide support and guidance on various legal matters and help drive growth and compliance in the company’s operations. This role will report to the Senior Legal Counsel and collaborate frequently with other departments.What You’ll Do
- Learn and grow BigCommerce’s global privacy program.
- Support the negotiation of contractual clauses relating to privacy and data protection.
- Educate and partner with Product & Engineering teams on the tenets of privacy by design.
- Advise the Marketing and Sales teams on privacy implications of various activities, including online advertising, cookie use, affiliate marketing, social networking, email, SMS, and other customer-facing communications.
- Advise appropriate stakeholders on compliance matters across all aspects of U.S. and international privacy and data protection laws and regulations.
- Support the implementation of internal and customer-facing privacy policies and related communications.
- Draft, update and manage legal templates, policies and playbooks.
- Keep the organization abreast, and advise on the potential business impact, of new, pending or proposed federal, state, and foreign legislation, rules and regulations, as well as industry developments and trends, related to privacy, data security, and information governance that may affect the company and its operations.
- Identify, implement and manage operational improvements within the legal team and with cross-departmental processes and procedures.
- Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the company's operations, products, market, customers and competitors.
- Drive compliance in day-to-day activities, including preparing and updating policies and providing training and counseling to other teams.
- Establish rapport and working relationships at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar.
- CIPP certification and/or privacy coursework a strong plus.
- 1-2+ years’ of privacy and data security experience gained at a leading law firm or in-house (ideally at a global SaaS or other technology company).
- Passionate about technology.
- Demonstrated knowledge – and a keen interest to learn more about – domestic and global privacy laws and regulations, including GDPR and CCPA.
- Experience with data privacy impact assessments and data mapping a plus.
- Fast learner with strong analytical and problem-solving skills and a high attention to detail.
- Team player with ability to communicate and collaborate effectively at all levels of the organization in a professional manner.
- Capable of working independently but exercises sound legal judgment and seeks guidance from senior attorneys when appropriate.
- Ability to think ahead and anticipate issues before they arise.
- Maintains a positive attitude and good sense of humor even while working under pressure.
- Strong time management and prioritization abilities; capable of prioritizing multiple, sometimes competing deliverables, while managing expectations and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to apply legal principles and explain legal concepts practically in a business environment.
- Takes ownership of work and sees projects through to completion.
This description is intended to serve as a summary of key duties and responsibilities and may not contain a comprehensive list of activities.