Commercial Counsel at Juniper Square
Our mission is to make the world’s private capital markets more efficient, transparent, and accessible. Privately owned assets like commercial real estate make up half of our financial ecosystem yet remain inaccessible to most people. We are digitizing these markets and as a result bringing access to millions who don’t currently benefit from one of the most productive corners of our financial ecosystem. If you care about making the world a better place by making markets work better through technology—all while contributing as a member of a values-driven organization—we want to hear from you. We’ve doubled our team in each of the past four years while maintaining an excellent culture and staying true to our values. We are well-funded and building for the long-term. We need YOU to help us achieve our mission.About your role
We are looking for an experienced attorney to join as the first in-house commercial lawyer. Reporting to the CFO, this role will focus on partnering with Go To Market functions to provide strategic, business-oriented legal guidance balancing risk and business reward.
This role will work with the Deal Desk team and others to maintain contract documentation and processes to support efficient review and negotiation of agreements that balance risks and opportunities in commercial transactions. As part of this effort, this role will help maintain playbooks and train the sales organization on negotiation best practices.
This role will also support the organization in review and negotiation of vendor agreements.
The optimal candidate generates satisfaction in helping people achieve their goals. The optimal candidate enjoys learning and diving into complexity and detail while being able to identify key relevant points in communication with others.
We are on a mission to make commercial real estate and capital markets more transparent and accessible to all - and are looking for someone who is excited by the opportunity to create processes and generate insight that helps everyone at the company achieve that goal.
- Structure, draft and negotiate a broad range of customer-facing agreements, including software and SaaS, partnerships, professional services while working with Deal Desk in the contract process
- Advise internal clients regarding legal issues, including identifying, managing, and communicating risks and opportunities in commercial transactions
- Assist with the development of standard template language to be used in contracts, ancillary documents and associated playbooks
- Help create and deliver education, information, and training programs for the sales organization on negotiation best practices and relevant legal issues
- Review and negotiate vendor agreements including outsourcing, IT infrastructure, marketing and advertising technology
- Own process for NDAs including negotiation of counterparty comments and development of an NDA playbook
- Participate in cross-team efforts to develop and implement policies and procedures relating to go-to-market efforts
- J.D. with strong academic credentials and demonstrated record of success as a lawyer
- Member of local state bar or eligible to register as registered in-house counsel
- At least 8 years of commercial transactions experience with experience both at a law firm and in-house negotiating complex technology transactions
- Experience supporting medium to large sales organizations that sell technology to enterprise customers as well as medium and smaller companies
- Ability to structure, draft and negotiate a high volume and broad range of commercial contracts, including master services agreements, professional services agreements, partner agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc.
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with internal customers, cross-functional teams and third parties to find creative solutions to complex problems
- Proven ability to work quickly and provide entrepreneurial, pragmatic, business-oriented advice and recommendations that properly balance the legal risk and business reward
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach
- Skilled at explaining complex legal concepts such that non-lawyers can understand them, the issues and associated risks
- Ability to triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate expectations with internal clients and delivering results efficiently and effectively
- Good sense of humor, interest for learning new things, and desire to get things done
- Working in Austin office hub when we re-open our office but open to Cloud location
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Health, dental, and vision care for you and your family
- Unlimited vacation policy and paid holidays
- Generous paid family leave, medical leave, and bereavement leave policies
- 401k retirement savings plan
- Healthcare FSA and commuter benefits programs
- Professional development stipend
- Monthly work from home wellness stipend while we're all remote
- Mental wellness coverage including live coaching and therapy sessions
- Home office productivity allowance to help create an ideal work from home setup
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the job description you’ve just read! Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Juniper Square's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.