Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Corporate Counsel – Transactions
Amherst Residential, LLC , a subsidiary of The Amherst Group, provides a comprehensive suite of services to facilitate the customized investment solutions for institutional investors of portfolios of single-family rental (SFR) assets.
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities.
Amherst Residential has quickly scaled over the last 7 years to own and operate 40,000+ homes in 29 markets across 19 states while building a vertically integrated real estate investment and operating platform. Across the SFR strategy, Amherst has raised almost $3.5bn in equity and arranged approximately $12bn in debt financing over the last seven years and is currently investing more than $350mm a month in single family real estate assets. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
- Draft and negotiate joint venture agreements, fund formation documents, purchase and sale agreements, loan agreements, offering circulars and other documents relating to SFR portfolios with top-tier institutional counterparties including private equity firms, investment banks, commercial lenders and other institutional investors;
- Coordinate and oversee the legal aspects of significant strategic initiatives, including but not limited to, mergers and acquisitions, major product development and regulatory matters, assessing legal impact and implications, recommending means for accomplishing desired legal objectives, and implementing decisions through necessary legal processes;
- Identify, analyze, and assess, including review and analysis of joint venture, financings and fund structures and drafting of related governing documentation and agreements; and
- Advise team leaders on complex legal matters related to the Company's compliance with securities, real property and other relevant laws; key legal risk areas pertaining to real estate investments and structuring; and general legal matters as appropriate.
- JD required; bar membership required; licensed to practice in the state of New York preferred; This position is based in the Company’s Austin, Texas headquarters
- 4 – 6 years in corporate debt, including structured finance and securitization with focus on single family, multi family or commercial real estate transactions
- Ability to run transactions to completion, work independently, exercise good judgment, and change direction or priorities on short notice.
- Attention to detail is critical; professionalism and customer-centricity are a must.
- Intelligent, energetic and goal-oriented with the ability to juggle multiple tasks, while exercising sound judgment.
- A self-starter with the ability to follow through and complete tasks in a highly intellectual, collaborative environment.
- Well-organized and detail oriented.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High competencies in strategic thinking and negotiation
- Reports to EVP- Head of Legal for Amherst Residential
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.