Dangerous Goods Shipments & Regulatory Classification Expert
Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to increasing sustainable options for unsold or damaged products. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to take valuable products currently being driven hundreds of miles and burned and have them be used for their original purpose in local communities.
At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
Smarter Sorting is seeking a Dangerous Goods Shipments & Regulatory Classification Expert to help us in our efforts to revolutionize the compliance space. Our Regulatory Classification Expert has consulted with data and engineering teams as well as offered their expertise to support sales and customer success. This person is comfortable reviewing and auditing regulatory data from the waste management industry so that it is properly used in the most valuable way. They also have experience working with big box retailers, formulators and/or shipping and logistics companies. They are well versed in the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and understand how the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) uses its authority to develop processes and policies on how to properly manage hazardous and non-hazardous waste.
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of experience working in Retail, Formulator and/or Shipping companies or as an independent Regulatory Classification Expert
- Demonstrated expertise in understanding and applying CFR 40 and 49
- Fluent in the language of RCRA
- Dangerous Goods Shipping & Logistics experience
- Fully proficient in Excel, bonus for further database and programming skills
- Chemical Engineering Background or similar preferred
- DGSA, CDGP, CHMM certifications appreciated
What you'll be doing:
- Classifying consumer products for Waste and Transport
- Regulatory Rule Writing (part of our Machine Learning process)
- Regulatory Consulting with Data and Engineering teams
- Client facing Regulatory Support with Sales and Customer Success team
- Transportation and Shipping focused Business Development Support
Your first month
- Ramp up on all things Smarter Sorting
- Review and audit classification results from Smarter Sorting’s Regulatory AI
- Manage Retail Classification efforts
Your first 3 months
- Manage Formulator Classification efforts
- Expand Smarter Sorting’s understanding of how to value and use classifications in Dangerous Goods transportation
Your first 6 months
- Support the product team in launching new products or services for the transportation market
- Serve as the subject matter expert for regulatory classification in customer-facing meetings
- Train colleagues to better become regulatory classification subject matter experts
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches, and dinners
Read Full Job Description