Deputy General Counsel, Labor & Employment at Workrise
As the leading workforce management solution for the skilled trades, Workrise makes it easier for skilled laborers to find work, and for companies to find in-demand workers. Workrise currently operates in wind, solar, construction, oil and gas, and defense industries. We’re growing, and we’d love to learn what you can add to our team!
Workrise is hiring a Deputy General Counsel, Labor & Employment who will be responsible for advising the company on a wide variety of matters in all areas of labor and employment law. Our ideal candidate for this role will be someone who can work with various stakeholders across the business to understand their goals and think strategically, practically and holistically about the appropriate policies and legal solutions to implement.
Why Join us? Our twelve-person Legal team at Workrise supports a company with over 600 corporate employees and thousands of field workers. As a team, we advise and counsel business stakeholders and participate in matters ranging from equity raises to incoming litigation. Workrise is a dynamic and fast moving corporate environment that keeps us engaged and also allows for balance.What you’ll be doing:
- Drafting and maintaining employment documents, policies and agreements
- Providing advice and counseling on disability accomodations and the administration of leaves of absences
- Working with the HR team to design compliant programs and processes that allow the company to scale and grow efficiently
- Assisting in workplace investigations and consulting on the resulting outcomes
- Designing or refining training programs related to topics such as harassment, discrimination, retaliation, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Consulting on discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims
- Reviewing and advising on wage and hour issues at both the state and federal levels
- Providing analysis on statutes and regulations on various employment law topics, including monitoring federal, state, and local guidance related to COVID-19 health and safety mitigation protocols
- Auditing exempt positions and pay practices
- Assisting with the development of innovative solutions for achieving diversity, equity, and inclusion objectives
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar
- 6-10 years of employment law experience
- Comprehensive knowledge of federal and state labor and employment laws, including those pertaining to employment discrimination, retaliation and accommodation, leaves of absence, wage/hour and payroll, and worker classification
- Prior experience drafting and revising a variety of compliant employment documents such as offer letters, employment policies, employee handbooks, arbitration agreements, and separation agreements
- Experience with workplace investigations, hiring, performance management, discipline and separation of employment
- Demonstrated success working with state and federal agencies on administrative charges and investigations; ideal experience would include defending investigations, preparing position statements, defending clients in fact-finding conferences and on-site visits, representing clients in mediations and conciliations, and negotiating settlements
- Ability to independently advise senior executives and HR business partners on a full range of employment matters
- Superior analytical, writing, oral communication, research, investigatory, advocacy, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively on multiple tasks and with a variety of stakeholders across all levels of the business
- Exceptional judgment when weighing both legal and business risk
- In-house legal department experience preferred
- Experience with California state employment issues and the FLSA strongly preferred
At Workrise you can feel good about your work and furthering our mission to serve those who do the hard work. We recognize that making an impact matters to you and we believe in providing an environment that fosters that ambition. We welcome you to develop relationships with coworkers by displaying our company values: Own the Mission, Learn and Grow, Solutions Over Ego, and Raise the Bar. In appreciation for your contributions, we support you with various health insurance plan options (including medical, dental, vision), flexible paid time off, and competitive 401k matching.
As a world-class employer, Workrise is committed to providing an environment where any and all people feel welcome, respected, and free to be their authentic selves. We welcome applicants of all gender identities, sexual orientation, educational background, religion, ethnicities, veteran status, and citizenships. We’d love to learn what you can add to our team!
In 2014, we set out to create a better way to get work done in the Oil & Gas industry. The goal — to build the most reliable and cost-effective workforce solution, using technology to make it easier to manage and deploy workers at scale. Over time, we’ve grown to serve construction, wind, solar, and defense.
We’re a Series E startup, backed by industry-leading investors Founders Fund, Bedrock Capital, Andreesen Horowitz, Baillie Gifford. To date, we’ve placed over 26,000 skilled tradespeople with over 500 businesses and are poised to grow exponentially over the coming months and years.
We’d love to share more through the interview process!