Director, Intellectual Property Counsel at Kendra Scott
We are a fun, talented and driven team dedicated to providing our customers with gorgeous products and a WOW! experience. Family, fashion and philanthropy are at the core of our company and though we move at a very fast pace, we are committed to maintaining a family-oriented work environment and giving back to our community. A passion for great design, dedication to innovation and a strong social media presence are our building blocks for creating a unique and engaging lifestyle brand across all channels, including retail stores, wholesale accounts and e-commerce. Our headquarters are located in the heart of Austin, Texas, and we embrace the unique vibe and energy of our hometown as an inspiration for our brand and company culture.
We have an exciting opportunity to support the rapid growth of our Company at our Home Office in Austin, TX! Reporting to our Sr Director of Risk Management, Legal Ops and Sustainability, our Director, IP Counsel will be responsible for overseeing all intellectual property matters. This role requires someone that is highly organized and also great at working with cross-functional teams on multiple projects.
• Manage all intellectual property-related matters, including copyright, trademark, patent, rights of publicity, marketing, and brand enforcement.
• Manage global trademark, copyright and patent portfolios, including coordination with outside counsel and involvement in all trademark oppositions, cancellations, and portfolio maintenance; copyright filings, review watch notices, and gather and prepare evidence for office actions, fame proceedings, and other trademark matters.
• Conduct trademark clearance and research on a variety of intellectual property issues such as product or marketing.
• Manage all intellectual property-related litigation, including coordination with outside counsel, evidence collection and assistance with discovery.
• Manage day-to-day logistics of US brand enforcement program, including identifying targets, collecting evidence, drafting cease and desist letters, and assisting with settlement negotiations.
• Manage external brand protection vendor and any private investigators engaged in the ongoing monitoring and enforcement for counterfeits. Partner with US law enforcement and Customs officials as needed.
• Manage intellectual property and brand protection budget.
• Manage special projects as needed, providing research, reporting, advice and such other tasks as required in support of such special projects.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
• Juris Doctor required (license to practice in TX preferred)
• 5-6 years’ post-Bar experience focused on intellectual property and brand enforcement matters
• Fashion industry and product knowledge preferred
• Excellent legal judgment and business acumen to understand the needs of a growing fashion company
• Strong analytical, research, communication, and organizational skills
• Excellent accuracy and attention to detail, with a strong sense of responsibility and follow-through
• Possess high level of discretion, tact, judgment and ability to maintain confidentiality
• A proven ability to define and achieve departmental objectives and strategies
• A solutions-oriented mentality with a data driven approach
• A growth mindset: track record of leveraging past learnings, encouraging new ideas and smart risk taking in self and others
• Strong communication skills with a proven ability to build cross functional partnerships to make effective decisions
• High commitment to employee growth and development—empowers team and defines success as having a significant impact on other’s careers
• A shared appreciation for our 3 core values of Family, Fashion and Philanthropy