General Counsel at Billd (Austin, TX)
Sorry, this job was removed at 8:16 a.m. (CST) on Tuesday, November 30, 2021
About BilldBilld is an exciting new FinTech company transforming the way construction companies finance projects. Billd is well funded, has its product in the market and has been recently featured in VentureBeat, Austin Business Journal and Modern Contractor Solutions as one of the innovation leaders in this space.We believe in attracting and hiring the best and brightest. We are looking for talented, motivated professionals to join our growing team. At Billd, you will be challenged to be your best self and guaranteed to have one of the most professionally rewarding experiences of your career.Interested in what our teammates and customers have to say about at Billd? Feel free to check out our 4.6 star Glassdoor rating and 4.8 Trust Pilot rating .The Role Billd is seeking a General Counsel to oversee a variety of legal needs for its growing technology-driven finance business. You will be an integral member of the executive team, reporting directly to the CEO, and will be relied on to provide sound legal advice and strategic decision-making for the business. To excel in this role, you'll be a self-starter and problem-solver who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced, and collaborative environment, and who welcomes the challenge of tackling the variety of legal issues that arise on a day-to-day basis.LocationAustin, TX in-officeResponsibilities:
- Corporate governance, commercial and lending agreements with customers, suppliers, and referral sources, regulatory compliance, intellectual property protection, data privacy and security matters, employment matters, and managing outside legal counsel.
- Provide legal interpretation of statutory supplier and contractor lien filing requirements in various U.S. jurisdictions where Billd operates, and advise lien processing team on lien/bond claim rights and responses to lien/bond claim objections. While this business unit operates independently, the General Counsel will be a critical resource for Billd's lien operations. Statutory lien regulation experience is not required, but familiarity with statutory schemes for supplier/mechanics liens is a plus.
- Provide legal research and oversight on Billd's legal strategies pertaining to collection actions on delinquent accounts.
- Oversee the legal matters of the business as a whole, including acting as the business' legal representative and advisor.
- Maintain knowledge of Billd's operations and standard legal documentation and terms and conditions, including corporate governance, master commercial lending agreements, purchase statements, NDAs, employment agreements, offer letters, PIIAs and privacy statements.
- Provide advice and guidance and manage outside counsel specialists, related to compliance with key federal and state lending, financial services, privacy, and data security regulations and laws, including working with Billd's business, technology, and compliance teams to advise on, develop and implement appropriate practices, policies, procedures and legal controls and protocols related to regulatory compliance.
- Develop and execute Billd's intellectual property strategy, including managing patent applications with outside counsel and protecting Billd's trade secrets.
- Advise HR team generally on employment matters, including providing counsel on appropriate policies, practices, agreements, and employment actions.
- Oversee and manage the maintenance of all legal documents, contracts, and proceedings for the company.
- Juris Doctor degree from nationally ranked and accredited law school, with an active bar license in the U.S. (preferably Texas or Arizona).
- 8+ years of practice with a large law firm in a general corporate, finance, and/or M&A group and/or in the general counsel's office of a large organization. Candidates with previous in-house general corporate experience in the general counsel's office are preferred.
- Experience in finance and commercial lending is preferred, but not required.
- Experience with corporate governance issues and corporate secretarial duties preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and excellent analytical and risk-assessment abilities.
- Proficient understanding of business sensitivities and confidentiality.
- Previous business management and executive experience is a plus.
Read Full Job Description