Legal Counsel, Privacy and Data Governance
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
Legal Counsel, Privacy and Data Governance
More than 60,000 merchants rely on BigCommerce to secure billions in annual online sales. We are seeking a Legal Counsel, Privacy and Data Governance who wants to empower innovators, creative thinkers, entrepreneurs and business owners around the world to be successful at each stage of their business.
You’ll be solving interesting privacy and compliance challenges in a complex SaaS environment, where you will help us drive to a stronger, complaint, and secure solution overall.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop, implement, and oversee BigCommerce’s global privacy program, including developing and communicating controls, policies and procedures, performing risk assessments, and monitoring ongoing compliance efforts in connection with GDPR, CCPA and other applicable regulations
- Support the negotiation of contractual clauses relating to privacy and data protection
- Advise appropriate stakeholders on compliance matters across all aspects of U.S. and applicable international privacy and data protection laws and regulations, including data retention, use/sharing, marketing, security, and breach
- Develop and enhance workflows and processes for responding to privacy-related inquiries, such as data subject access requests
- Develop, manage, and refine our information governance and records management program, policies, and procedures, including ensuring alignment with privacy and security policies
- Advise the Marketing and Sales teams on privacy implications of various activities, including online advertising, cookie use, affiliate marketing, social networking, email, SMS, and other customer-facing communications
- Prepare and manage the implementation of internal and customer-facing privacy policies and related communications
- Keep the organization abreast, and advise on the potential business impact, of new, pending or proposed federal, state, and foreign legislation, rules and regulations, as well as industry developments and trends, related to privacy, data security, and information governance that may affect the company and its operations
- Build close relationships with personnel in supported business operations, and developing and maintaining a strong knowledge of the products and objectives of those operations
- Conduct periodic employee training on relevant privacy, data security, and information governance-related matters
- Efficiently manage outside counsel in areas of coverage with an eye toward meeting budget objectives
Who You Are:
- J.D. with exceptional academic credentials
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with at least one state bar, as applicable, or eligible to apply as registered in-house counsel
- 3-6+ years of privacy and data security experience gained at a leading law firm or in-house (ideally at a global SaaS or other technology company) in roles of increasing responsibility
- Deep knowledge of domestic and global privacy laws and regulations, including GDPR and CCPA
- Experience with data privacy impact assessments and data mapping
- Familiarity with cybersecurity standards and frameworks
- Experience advising multiple stakeholders across an organization, including R&D, IT/Cybersecurity, Marketing, and Sales
- CIPP certification and international experience are a strong plus
- Experience interacting directly with law enforcement personnel or privacy and data protection regulators a plus
- Passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, high-growth company
- Excellent written verbal communication skills and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Highly analytical with exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills • Practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving with the ability to effectively counsel internal clients by providing clear, concise, and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.
Current BigCommerce Employees: Please use the internal job board to apply for openings.