Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Litigation Counsel - Austin, Texas
Duties and Responsibilities:
Litigation Counsel will be responsible for managing and supporting a variety of real estate, general business, landlord-tenant and premises liability litigation and related pre-litigation matters, as well as providing day-to-day legal advice to various business units. Litigation matters are likely to also include a variety of other subject matter areas. Oversee and manage all aspects of litigation, including handling and attempting to resolve threatened litigation, responding to attorney demand letters, supporting and advising various business units to resolve disputes relating to all aspects of property management and real estate asset management, and drafting, negotiating and reviewing legal documents.
Other responsibilities are expected to include:
- Represent the company at mediations, depositions, and other legal proceedings.
- Manage, review, and approve work of outside counsel. Review and respond to discovery requests, subpoenas, and draft other documents as needed.
- Prepare employees for depositions, testimony, and/or and court appearances.
- Oversee, investigate and respond to government inquiries.
- Coordinate with and manage high-volume docket with senior litigation paralegal.
- Conduct legal research.
- Support the efforts of business units as needed and handle various tasks as assigned.
- Report on a regular basis to direct manager and to senior management as to the status of matters.
JD and current license to practice law required.
Law degree with 5+ years in relevant litigation experience from a well-known law firm or in-house legal department. Experience in real estate law, landlord-tenant law, and alternative dispute resolution required.
Essential skills and qualities include:
- Team player with strong attention to detail and ability to handle complex matters in a dynamic environment
- Ability to understand the job responsibilities in the context of financial transactions and structure, as well as the overall business
- Strong communication skills; excited to interact with a broad group of internal and external parties
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Highly organized
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Solution-oriented strategic thinker
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Must be approachable, collaborative and adaptable
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties or responsibilities required by employee.
Our full-time employee benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO including 7 paid holidays, 1 floating holiday, and 1 volunteer day
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Up to 16 weeks paid maternity leave; up to 4 weeks of paid parental leave
- Backup childcare offered through Bright Horizons
- Relaxed casual environment with virtual office events
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.