Managing Paralegal & Head of Legal Operations at LegalZoom
Managing Paralegal & Head of Legal Operations
LegalZoom is looking for an experienced corporate paralegal to join our fast-paced corporate legal department and drive our legal operations functions. You will report to the Associate General Counsel and partner with LegalZoom’s General Counsel as well as other legal leadership. This is an exciting opportunity to manage and mentor a team of administrative and support staff within the department. If you have extensive corporate experience and are eager and excited to establish best practices in legal operations, this is the role for you. Along with your legal support staff, you will drive & own the legal department’s governance, litigation, compliance, and commercial transaction administrative functions. You will serve as a thought leader in the legal team by contributing to and implementing strategies and by executing legal operations best practices.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Administration of various governance matters, including correspondence with domestic and international agencies and filings. You will communicate with investors, board members and other levels of senior leadership.
- Equity compensation management, including stock option and RSU administration.
- Contract organization and administration, including operation of contract management software and development of contracting policies.
- Supervise litigation and dispute support activity, including subpoena response, insurance filings, and document organization.
- Partner with finance to complete monthly review/audit of legal invoices, including accruals, and spend report preparation.
- Manage legal vendors to optimize efficiency and help to reduce overall spend
- Lead the continuous improvement of department processes, systems, and tools, including to power employee self-service of legal services
- Provide support on acquisitions and investments, including diligence review, integration, closing mechanics, and monitoring
- Coordinate and help prepare board meeting materials for domestic and international entities
As part of this team, you are at the forefront of helping LegalZoom’s internal legal department drive fast-moving strategic priorities, tackle operational challenges, and enable growth and innovation.
Who You Are:
- Education. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with exceptional academic credentials; MBA a plus.
- Work Experience. Previous in-house legal department experience (8+ years preferred, international experience a plus - especially in entity management and governmental filings)
- A natural problem-solver and strategic thinker. You are comfortable with ambiguity and able to quickly tease through complexity and bring structure to chaos. You have a knack for identifying and articulating implications up and downstream, taking appropriate action as needed. You gather, integrate, and interpret data from multiple sources to identify patterns and trends; then use that information to gain insight and make business decisions.
- Process, process, process. You look for opportunities to eliminate manual work and determine where operational efficiencies can and should be addressed.
- A communication pro. You articulate and provide clear materials with actionable synthesis and recommendations. You have strong listening skills and you naturally codify and write things down. You deliver pithy, well-organized artifacts (presentations, emails, etc) to drive fact-based decision making.
- Highly collaborative. Your team-first attitude enables you to easily and effectively work cross-functionally. You establish enduring, trust-based relationships with key business partners and stakeholders. You love helping others drive successful business outcomes in their areas of responsibility.
- Organized and detail-oriented. You work efficiently and know how to manage your time effectively
- A positive role model for the team. You have impeccable professional ethics, integrity, and judgment. You thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and you are calm during the storm. Exhibit a high degree of professionalism and trustworthiness and a demonstrated ability to handle highly confidential information
- Multi-tasker. You simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands, and competing and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- EQ. Have a genuine ability to connect and engage with all levels of employees and management effectively while building, maintaining, and enhancing trust in a collaborative and positive environment
You get bonus points if you laugh easily, can maintain a smile after hours of back-to-back Zoom calls, and can somehow make the practice of law fun.
LegalZoom is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to diversity.