Patent Illustrator (Mechanical) at LegalZoom
We are currently seeking a highly motivated candidate to join our growing Intellectual Property team. The Patent Illustrator will use their mechanical and drafting knowledge/skills to prepare Patent application drawings using CAD software for submission to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
What you’ll do:
Responsible for creating Patent drawings using various computer programs (AutoCad and SpaceClaim) that meet the expectations and Rules of Practice set forth by the USPTO.
- Responsible for accurately illustrating designs and product characteristics by producing a variety of perspective, assembly and sectional drawings, outlining the details of the claimed invention.
- The job requires the use of knowledge and artistic abilities incorporating different style drawings ranging from simple Flow charts and In-Use views to complicated Exploded Pespective Views.
- Accurate drawings are to be completed in a timely manner.
- 3+ years drafting or illustration and mechanical experience and aptitude.
- Experience with CAD programs (AutoCad experience is required but we will train on the in-house 3D Modeling program [SpaceClaim]) – Knowledge of SolidWorks and/or other 3D Modeling Software is recommended
- Knowledge of perspective and orthographic view construction as well as general drafting and illustration practices is required
- Familiar with principles of isometric projection and construction.
- Mechanical/technical illustration experience.
- Must be deadline-oriented as most work is time-sensitive, artistic, and mechanically-inclined.
- Strong attention to detail and good visualization skills.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment with highly motivated team members.
- Ability to perform in a self-managed environment -- must be a self-starter.
- Experience interacting with clients is required.
- Proven focus on teamwork.
- Experience with MS Office.
Prior patent illustration experience.
Knowledge of AutoCad, SpaceClaim and/or Adobe Acrobat.