Senior Commercial Counsel at Cloudflare
What you'll do
In this role, you will work closely with our sales, partnerships, customer success, and special projects teams to review contracts and provide effective, business-focused, day-to-day advice on a broad range of issues, including local law compliance, IP, third-party complaints, and various inquiries. You will collaborate with internal business stakeholders to draft, review and revise commercial contracting templates and contract related policies.
Who you are
The ideal candidate for this role is:
- experienced in commercial transactions and thrives when working on a variety of subject matters;
- intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change; and
- a proactive self-starter who has a thirst for knowledge and a desire for continued growth while working as part of a great team.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 7+ years of legal experience with at least 3 years of experience working for an internationally recognized law firm and 2 years working as in-house legal counsel for a leading technology company
- Admitted to practice law in the US, UK or Germany
- Fluency in spoken and written English, if English is not your first language
- Substantive experience as the lead drafter and negotiator of complex commercial agreements, including SaaS, licensing, consulting, joint development and reseller/distributor agreements
- Experience supervising and managing teams of junior attorneys and/or non-legal staff
- Ability to identify and explain non-standard terms and associated risks to relevant business stakeholders, interpret contract requirements, obligations and risk exposure and advise on same
- Solid understanding of state, federal and international data privacy and data protection laws
- Experience working in an international context on cross-border transactions
- Strategic thinker with a verifiable history of providing sound and practical advice
- Ability to translate complex technical and legal concepts for non-techies and non-lawyers
- CIPP/US or CIPP/E certification
- Ability to start work at Cloudflare within 2-4 weeks of your hire is highly preferred
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.