Senior Counsel, Data Protection at Procore Technologies
We are looking for a Senior Counsel, Data Protection to join Procore’s fast-growing Legal Department. In this role, you’ll work with stakeholders across the organization to help protect our customer and employee data, deliver data-driven products and insights, and ensure company-wide compliance with applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations.
As Senior Counsel, Data Protection, you’ll partner with cross-functional teams, including IT, Security, Product, Engineering, and Marketing, to provide legal guidance on global initiatives impacting data privacy and security. Your passion for technology and deep knowledge of domestic and international privacy allows you to provide practical and solutions-oriented advice to your business partners, effectively calculate potential risks, manage workloads, and prioritize multiple business partner demands. This is an exciting, new position that will contribute to the company’s continued growth and success.
This position reports to Procore’s Associate General Counsel, Global Privacy and Data Protection and can be based in any of our U.S. offices or remotely within the U.S. We’re looking for someone to join us immediately.
What you’ll do:
- Provide data privacy and security subject-matter expertise and guidance to cross-functional business partners in IT, Security, Product, Procurement, HR, Marketing, and Engineering teams, as well as Legal Department colleagues
- Help to enhance, scale, and execute the existing global data protection program, including privacy operations and documentation, employee training, policy enforcement, monitoring and auditing, and incident response
- Provide actionable, pragmatic advice to internal clients and external customers on legal risks and obligations under applicable data privacy and security laws and regulations globally (including CCPA, GDPR, HIPAA)
- Draft and negotiate data protection agreements, advising on privacy and data security in commercial transactions, developing internal privacy policies, external privacy notices, and documenting processes to support same
- Work with the Security and Data Governance Councils to scope and perform periodic data privacy risk assessments, mitigation, and remediation
- Remain up to date on relevant consumer protection, privacy, and data security laws and regulations, as well as on technological developments and evolving industry standards to ensure an ongoing ability to provide compliance advice
- Collaborate with Data Protection Manager to draft external privacy notices and disclosures, managing internal policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with global data protection and security laws
- Evangelize privacy principles to achieve better privacy integration in the product development lifecycles
- Engaging in or lead various Legal Department projects and duties as needed
What we’re looking for:
- J.D. and admission, active and in good standing, with at least one state bar
- 7+ years of proven privacy, data protection, and security experience gained at law firms and in-house legal departments (ideally at a SaaS or other technology company) in roles of increasing responsibility
- CIPP, CIPM, CIPT, and/or related certifications are a strong plus
- Detail-oriented, passionate with an eagerness and ability to dive into technical details to understand privacy and security requirements and implications
- Strong problem-solving skills with the desire to take ownership of issues and follow through until resolution
- Passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Ability to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple business partner demands, and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
If you'd like to stay in touch and be the first to hear about new roles at Procore, join our Talent Community.
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, retail centers, airports, housing complexes, and more. At Procore, we have worked hard to create and maintain a culture where you can own your work and are encouraged and given resources to try new ideas. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: generous paid vacation, employee stock purchase plan, enrichment and development programs, and friends and family events.