Senior Counsel, Labor and Employment at Whole Foods Market
- Provides advice on all facets of employment law, including employee relations issues, wage and hour laws, leaves of absence, termination, discipline, reasonable accommodations, retaliation, non-compete/non-solicitation agreements, reductions-in-force, unemployment, employment discrimination, unfair labor practices, and employee benefits.
- Investigate, develop strategy, and respond to charges of discrimination, unfair labor practices, and other complaints filed with federal, state, and local administrative agencies, including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, National Labor Relations Board, U.S. Department of Labor, and U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Represent the company at administrative hearings, fact-finding conferences, mediations, and other proceedings.
- Supports entire company in establishing best policies and practices for the company’s compliance with various federal, state, and local employment laws. Works closely with Team Member Services Communications and training staff to ensure Team Member awareness and understanding of any policy changes.
- Provides advice on vendor and independent contractor relationships to ensure compliance with federal and state employment laws.
- Tracks labor and employment activity on a global basis to identify trends and provide strategic advice, counseling, and training.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in employment law.
- A Doctorate of Jurisprudence from an accredited law school.
- Must be admitted and in good standing to the bar of any state.
- Ability to analyze and interpret legal issues and draft pleadings, motions, briefs and legal memoranda.
- Ability to conduct complex legal research using on-line research tools.
- Ability to interact and clearly state legal strategies and goals with company leadership, outside counsel adjusters, opposing counsel, vendors and claimants.
- Substantial experience with delivering advice and counsel to clients such as Human Resources.
- An effective communicator and relationship builder.
- Strong cross-functional leadership abilities combined with an analytical mind-set.
- Ability to lead and inspire through change.
- A passion for service excellence, new ideas, and change.
- Demonstrated ability to persuade and influence others through collaboration across a global, matrixed organization.
- Ability to use good judgment and make good decisions that consider the needs of all stakeholders.
- A passion for Whole Foods Market and a sense of ownership for the success of the business.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.