Senior IP Counsel - Litigation/Adversarial at Atlassian
We have a rare opportunity to bring on a talented attorney who will join our growing legal team here at Atlassian as a Senior IP Counsel (Litigation & Product) role. This is your opportunity to be part of an exciting, fast-growing company with an amazing culture and legal team.
More About Our Team:
We are a tight-knit, collaborative, and communicative team that tackles diverse legal issues and generates balanced, pragmatic business solutions that enable Atlassian to scale.
In the role, you'll be responsible for:
- Working on litigation and licensing strategy for patent, trademark, and copyright issues
- Managing litigation and adversarial licensing matters day-to-day, including discovery, motion practice, and employee counseling
- Working closely with our engineering and business units on IP issues that arise in product, like IP contamination, IP licensing, open source usage, domain, and brand issues
- Assisting with patent portfolio strategy and development, as well as acquisition efforts
- Rolling up your sleeves and supporting other members of the IP team as projects get hot
- You have significant litigation experience in IP matters and are able to set strategy and manage every phase of a case from start to finish.
- You are good at navigating a complex organization and working with ambiguity.
- You have the capability to meet and engage with a broad spectrum of Atlassians across our product and engineering organizations.
- You have a strong understanding of technology (bonus if you have an engineering or computer science background).
- You like to master new subject areas, whether new laws, new technologies or new business strategies.
- You can listen to our business stakeholders with a desire to understand and solve their problems with intelligence and empathy.
- Admission to one state bar
- 5+ years practicing law, in-house experience preferred but not required
- Patent litigation background (bonus if experienced in trademark and copyright litigation)
- Passion to understand our products, our culture, and our business model
- Bonus points for patent bar admission and patent prosecution knowledge/experience
More about our Ideal Candidate:
On Your First Day, We'll Expect You To Have:
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.