Sr. Attorney, Insurance Operations at Ascension
Full Time, Days M-F
Location: Remote / Virtual
Our Sr. Attorney, Insurance Operations serves as a legal advisor for Ascension and its insurance operations, providing direction, guidance, and assistance on legal matters. This role requires a deep understanding of State health insurance regulations, the Affordable Care Act, including the Qualified Health Plan certification process, CMS regulations related to Medicare Advantage plans, HIPAA, and ERISA.
What You Will Do
- Acts as primary counsel for Ascension insurance operations; maintains knowledge of regulatory and enforcement environment affecting the business to minimize risk.
- Leads primary legal support provided to Health Plans and Products where Ascension is the payor (plans established under the ACA, Medicare Advantage, ACO’s, owned plans, etc.)
- Researches, interprets and advises the business on applicable state and federal insurance regulation.
- Serves as strategic advisor to the business team and enterprise colleagues on the impact and response to proposed and new rules, regulations and legislation.
- Works closely with insurance operations and compliance leaders to identify and reduce known and potential regulatory, legal, and business risks.
- Provides interpretive and practical advice regarding oversight and compliance requirements of the business.
- Interacts with State and Federal regulatory agencies.
- Reviews and drafts contracts, company policies and other operational documents necessary to facilitate the growth and scaling of company operations.
- Oversees and manages outside counsel approved by management and engaged to represent a ministry market.
- Supports governance activities for the ministry markets within the region as assigned, including review of governance documents and serving as counsel to boards and/or committees.
- Leads complex legal matters and services for ministry markets within the region.
- Collaborates with legal practice area team leads, attorneys and support staff to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of legal services.
What You Will Need
Licensure / Certification / Registration:
- Attorney obtained prior to hire date or job transfer date required. Licensure required relevant to state in which work is performed.
- Juris Doctorate degree required.
- 5 years of experience as licensed, practicing attorney required.
- 5+ years working with insurance plans preferred.
- 7+ years as a practicing attorney preferred.
Why Join Our Team
When you join Ascension, you join a team of over 160,000 individuals across the country committed to a Mission of serving others and providing compassionate, personalized care to all. Our inclusive culture, continuing education programs, career coaches and benefit offerings are just a few of the resources and tools that team members can use to create a rewarding career path. In fact, Ascension spent nearly $46 million in tuition assistance alone to support associate growth and development. If you are looking for a career where you can grow and make a difference in your community, we invite you to join our team today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Ascension is an equal opportunity employer (EEO) and affords equal opportunity to all associates and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
This employer participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.