Transaction Counsel at WP Engine
Are you an in-house attorney (or an attorney looking to move in-house) who is passionate about the legal issues affecting international, data-driven technology companies?What Is Cool About This Job
This role, based in our downtown Austin office, will provide you an opportunity to contribute to the overall scalability and maturity of a rapidly growing technology company.
As a team, our mission is to create value and champion the business as trusted legal advisors, innovators, and partners.
As Transaction Counsel, you will provide critical legal support to the company and its operations. Your responsibilities will be dynamic and will hinge on your subject matter expertise. They may include reviewing, drafting, and negotiating a wide range of agreements and advising the company on cutting-edge legal issues relating to data privacy, cybersecurity, compliance, employment matters, and software-as-a-service.The Day to Day
Your responsibilities may largely be based on your expertise, giving you the opportunity to contribute most effectively and meaningfully.
- Negotiate, structure, and manage numerous types of legal agreements, such as business development, sales, partnership, licensing, confidentiality, and employment agreements.
- Ensure consistency of agreement terms with company goals and policies.
- Provide practical guidance to the business, balancing business objectives and legal risk.
- Maintain a solid understanding of the evolving domestic and international regulatory environments as they affect WP Engine. Act as the resident expert on compliance requirements and best practices.
- Work with the broader Legal team and other internal partners to develop and implement corporate legal-related policies. Train internal teams on these policies and monitor any necessary changes to department-level procedures.
- State bar member in good standing.
- 3-7 years of relevant legal experience in a law firm or in-house.
- Ability to understand business needs and partner with the business to craft solutions.
- Deep understanding of how to balance legal risk with business objectives.
- Dedicated and comfortable providing advice and making decisions in a fast-changing environment.
- Intellectual curiosity about WP Engine's services, and general knowledge of information technology, WordPress and software-as-a-service as a business model, and related legal issues.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Strong sense of ownership and personal responsibility, with drive to cover areas of responsibility deeply and broadly.
- Excellent teammate and collaborator, with a strong client service focus. You will need to be a trusted business partner and know when to ask questions within the Legal team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to effectively explain complex legal and/or regulatory concepts and guidelines to non-legal audiences.
At WP Engine, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. WP Engine is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.