Director of Communications
Who We Are
Bestow is a digital life insurance company built on full stack technology and AI. In a world in need of greater financial resilience and protection, Bestow democratizes access to smart financial products and powers some of the world’s leading consumer platforms. We are reimagining and rebuilding a 400-year-old, $7 trillion industry to create a brighter future for millions of families. And we’re just getting started.
The Bestow team is a diverse band of first principles thinkers on a mission to do good. We’re fortunate to be backed by leading investors and partners including Valar Ventures, NEA, 8VC and MunichRe.
We’re looking for a passionate, strategic, results-driven Communications Director to build, lead and execute a targeted media and public relations strategy. But isn’t that what all the Comms job descriptions say? We’re looking for so much more.
We need a truly creative thinker. Someone who is able to connect our life insurance product, the mission behind it, and the interests of the mainstream media. Someone who sees opportunity everywhere. There are tech stories here, human stories, edifying stories, financial stories, adulting stories, stories about the disadvantaged, stories about stay at home spouses—stories upon stories, waiting to be told. We are looking for someone who sees all this, and more.
This isn’t a “set it and forget it” role. We’re looking for an action-oriented leader who will run through walls and who can deftly advise and execute across traditional media publicity, events, digital and video communications; social and influencer activations and brand partnerships.
It is also an individual contributor role, reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer, so we’re looking for someone who’s ready to make an impact at scale. Someone who is passionate about culture and delivering great work that is creative while delivering on the business objectives.
- Create and execute annual communication plan to drive strategic brand goals.
- Developed and implement media relations strategy and plan, seeking high level placements in print, broadcast and online media with goal to elevate the brand awareness in the marketplace.
- Create an innovative, powerful earned media strategy: developing tailored pitches, hyper-targeting media contacts, media outreach and placement of stories.
- Create press materials: brand messaging, customized pitches, press releases, media training/briefing books
- Strengthen overall knowledge of our product, internally and externally - convey brand messages accurately and articulately to media, consumers, influencers, suppliers, partners and colleagues.
- Develop and enhance influencer relations for new exposure areas in the insurance and financial industry, and other select passion areas.
- Create captivating brand narratives and series of soundbites
- Work closely with brand and strategy team to develop messaging regarding the mission-driven nature of our company, to enhance the reputation of our brand.
- Identify thought-leadership opportunities inclusive of leadership speaking opportunities and op-eds.
- Develop KPIs and ensure measurement tactics in place to quantify exposure.
A Little About You
- Solid, 5+ year-specialist PR experience (from a PR/Communications agency or client-side Communications role).
- Proven expertise developing a breakthrough PR programs inclusive of earned, paid and owned media strategies to build brand awareness and allure.
- Proven track record of A-level media results and established network of media relationships (local and national).
- An energetic, self-starter; works independently, and is able to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Awareness of latest trends, cultural happenings and lifestyle fields.
- A gifted writer and communicator with a flair for compelling stories that command attention.
- Knowledge of key influences and influencers in the digital and social media space.
- A deft negotiator with major writers, editors and producers during the pitch, engagement and fact-checking process.
- Bachelors Degree in Communications, or related field.
What We Can Offer to You
- Competitive salary
- Generous PTO
- Flexible schedule and work/life balance
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Choose your own computer setup (Mac or PC)
- Office snacks and weekly team lunches
- Team building events and activities
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bestow does not currently sponsor applicants for work visas.
Read Full Job Description