Director, Content Marketing at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast-growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a 2019 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, is looking for a world-class Director of Content Marketing with a history of winning in B2B SaaS across SMBs, mid-market, and enterprise segments. We are seeking an experienced, hands-on, strategic content marketing leader to develop and guide our growing content marketing function. You must have a proven track record of consistently exceeding your goals in driving net new MRR and customer growth.
At BigCommerce, you’ll have the opportunity to positively influence the trajectory of a billion dollar company in a trillion dollar industry. Powering billions in sales for more than 50,000 clients in 65 countries, BigCommerce is focused on empowering businesses of all sizes to sell more, sell faster, and sell everywhere.
The Director of Content Marketing is business-critical, strategic role leading global content strategy and responsible for driving integrated content strategies across segments and regions. You will lead a team of content producers and strategists responsible for driving content strategy, planning, production, and performance measurement. You will lead the innovation and evolution of our content strategy, working closely with business stakeholders and senior leadership to implement content programs and plans that align to acquisition and growth goals. This role currently manages a team of content marketing professionals, plus management of external vendor resources.What You’ll Do:
You will build and nurture a world-class content strategy and production team focused on attracting, engaging and growing an audience of Small Business, Mid-Market and Enterprise merchants. You will work cross functionally with many leaders in our organization including:
- Customer Marketing to develop content that enables current BigCommerce customers to achieve greater business success and drive upsell and cross-sell opportunities.
- Sales and Marketing to develop content that helps BigCommerce prospects understand how our platform is right for them.
- Partner Marketing to drive co-creation and acquisition content initiatives with agency and technology partners.
- Product Marketing and Sales to develop impactful customer reference content.
- Define and deliver content marketing strategies and plans based on company-wide goals that support and extend marketing initiatives.
- Understand merchant buying journey and evaluate how we can better leverage content to move prospects deeper into the funnel.
- Help marketing and partner teams determine high-value audience segments by enhancing persona and cohort definitions. Drive content planning aimed at these audiences.
- Work with marketing and partner campaign teams to drive content value across all stages of the marketing funnel and buyer journey.
- Work with digital and SEO teams to implement strategies that improve keyword rankings, drive web traffic and deliver leads.
- Develop and socialize standards, systems and best practices for content creation, distribution, optimization and maintenance.
- Generate high quality content that is optimally useful for customers and prospects and develop measurement dashboards around relevancy, discoverability, quality and depth.
- Evaluate different channels and mediums (including interactive elements, video, infographics) to determine the best medium to engage target audiences.
- Analyze web metrics and dashboards with an emphasis on measuring content impact on Marketing Qualified Leads (MQLs) for the business.
- Iterate approach based on analytics and inputs from sales, product and partner teams.
- Build an effective, scalable and efficient content marketing engine, including deploying mission critical tools, processes and systems.
- Provide leadership to develop innovative content strategies, track and optimize content performance, review others’ work, and train others in development of powerful content.
- Leader - You are a proven leader with 8+ years people management experience and functional leadership with a strong desire and understanding of how to develop people in a supportive, accountable environment and inspire them to give 100% effort and perform at levels higher than they imagined they could achieve. You have experience managing and developing a high-performing, highly-skilled, positive, creative, results-oriented content team.
- Master Storyteller - Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to bring impactful stories to life. You support leadership in using narrative to connect BigCommerce to the needs and aspirations of our market, tailoring stories and messages for unique audiences.
- Creative Thinker - You don’t just care about how content looks, you are passionate about challenging the status quo and using creative thinking to fuel innovation and performance.
- Strategist - You have perspective and can see and discuss multiple aspects and impacts of issues and project them into the future, recognize what can/should be done now to affect future performance, and see and understand the challenges between the current and the ideal situation.
- Customer Focused - You have a passion for service and satisfaction, are dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers, gets first-hand information and use it for improvements in products and services, act with customers in mind, and establish and maintain effective relationships with customers, gaining their trust and respect.
- Problem Solver - You can see hidden problems and probe a variety of sources for answers, are excellent at analysis, able to look beyond the obvious, and can identify and creatively solve complex problems, including matters related to systems and processes.
- Systems Thinker - You are dedicated to providing high quality services, committed to continuous improvement through empowerment and management by data, willing and able to re-engineer processes from scratch, open to suggestions and experimentation, and efficient and effective work processes.
- Master Communicator - Excellent written/verbal communication and customer relationship skills are critical.
- Collaborative - You have demonstrated success working cross-functionally in matrixed organizations and have the ability to forge strong bonds and work collaboratively with key external and internal partners such across Marketing, Product, Engineering, and Sales. You are a strong and seasoned content leader, with strong cross-functional relationship management and communications skills, both experienced and comfortable with frequent executive level communication.
- Composed - You know how to remain collected in a fast-paced, high pressure, dynamic environment and carry out responsibilities with minimal direction.
- Personable - You are seen as positive, energetic, and exude a strong sense of teamwork by working effectively, respectfully, and efficiently with all team members.
- Lifetime Learner - You pick up on things quickly, enjoy learning new skills and knowledge, and are adept at staying ahead of the curve on relevant industry, company, product, or technical knowledge.
- Ethical - You believe in our mission, share our values and understand that it’s not just about what you get done, but also how you do it.
- A portfolio and samples of work demonstrating expertise in creating compelling content, driving brand awareness, growing audiences and delivering measurable business results.
- Strong people manager skills with a proven ability to hire, develop and grow world-class teams
- Executive-level presence, excellent presentation skills and strong storytelling abilities
- The ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as Marketing, Public Relations, Communication or Business required
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in marketing required; minimum of 5 years’ direct experience in content marketing required; digital marketing experience preferred. Previous employment in Ecommerce and SaaS industries a plus.
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that. Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.
Current BigCommerce Employees: Please use the internal job board to apply for openings.