Global WordPress Product Marketing Manager
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores at a fraction of the cost to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a "Best Place to Work" in Austin in 2018 is looking for a strong leader to run point on the BigCommerce for WordPress strategy under the Commerce-as-a-Service initiative. In this role, you’ll be an executive-facing leader creating and running the strategy behind continued product development and investment focus areas, driving external adoption within the WordPress community (developers, agencies, hosting providers, merchants), and cross-functionally partner with marketing, sales, biz dev, and engineering to help BigCommerce collective move towards being the open SaaS e-commerce platform of choice. The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator and strategist with deep subject matter expertise in WordPress and experience working in e-commerce and/or SaaS startup environment.
Additionally, you’ll help guide key functional areas across BigCommerce in moving our company forward to be a developer-first platform, across our core open SaaS platform and within WordPress. You will be responsible for all things GTM, merchant and partner acquisition, campaign and partnership direction, and developer community building.
Through your efforts, you will help empower the extension of the BigCommerce platform (including existing solutions, apps, and integrations) into the WordPress community with the launch of our headless e-commerce plugin and activate and support WordPress developers to build on top of the BigCommerce plugin. You’ll interact directly with external developers, partners, and internal teams to communicate and drive platform, resource, and experience insights and improvements. The WordPress Developer Evangelist is a critical role in building a healthy and thriving developer ecosystem and helping bridge both the WordPress and BigCommerce developer ecosystems.
What You’ll Do
Be the Global WordPress Ecosystem expert, to help drive awareness & adoption of BigCommerce for WordPress
- Run point on BigCommerce for WordPress, performing equal parts product marketing manager, product manager, external advocate & evangelist, product direction strategist, and ongoing GTM architect.
- Create, build and operationalize external-facing strategies in conjunction with our campaigns teams, partner acquisition teams, business development teams, and community team.
- Be a subject matter expert on the WordPress community, e-commerce, agency, hosting providers, theme & plugin developers, and overall community/developer needs.
Drive cross-functional efforts to launch new products and drive market success
- Edit, write, and produce compelling messaging and positioning for internal and external audiences, to be used across multiple touch points, including our website, PR / comms, and sales.
- Be a go-to-market expert: work with the marketing team (including PR, comms, partner, acquisition, and engagement) to develop messaging for cross-channel campaigns to drive successful adoption of the platform and the features associated with the platform, and ultimately drive up revenue and NPS.
- Work effectively cross functionally— Support, Learning and Organization Development (L&OD), Marketing, Sales, Product, and Engineering with relative ease and purpose to drive business needs.
- Contribute to external WordPress Developer Communities and Blogs, showcasing unique ways developers are working with our plugin to build rapport among top WordPress developers in the community.
- Help lead internally across different teams on how to target developers, building content for them, speaking at events, writing blog posts, etc.
Influence product and business development decisions to meet the needs of our customers
- Use your understanding of the competition and ecosystem, coupled with an understanding of our product, to influence product and business development decisions.
- Work with existing BigCommerce partners who have equivalent WordPress plugins to ensure full system compatibility and other growth-driving initiatives, in collaboration with our business development and partner marketing teams.
- Demonstrate skill at preparing business cases and gaining cross-functional alignment in order to help build and grow new products/services that help BigCommerce dominate the e-commerce industry. Prior experience in a strategic function (e.g management consulting) will be helpful here, but also requires an aptitude in diving into execution as well.
Help drive forward our developer-first initiative for Commerce-as-a-Service
- Co-collaborate/advise our internal developer enablement initiative to help accelerate our community growth around open source ecosystems (i.e. BC open SaaS, WordPress, Magento, etc.)
- Manage/influence the direction and output of our developer advocacy and evangelist team, helping highlight the "Voice of the WordPress Developer" within BigCommerce, translating developer needs and feedback into prioritized and actionable product and plugin insights.
- Build, pitch and recommend investment areas internally to help us realize our external goal of becoming the developer playground for e-commerce.
- Grow and develop the success of the BigCommerce developer ecosystem finding innovative ways to create additional awareness and momentum both internally and externally.
Who you are:
- 5+ years of experience contributing to and growing within the WordPress community as a marketer, agency, evangelist, or business development lead.
- 1-2 years of experience working closely with, or as an embedded team member of, a software development team
- Advanced experience in reaching specific audiences within open source communities to drive quantifiable business results.
- Ability to quickly understand complex, interdependent technical requirements
- Strong communicator with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills and ability to communicate with and influence both technical and non-technical audiences at multiple levels, up to senior executives
- A collaborator with excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Demonstrated ability to champion and drive cross-functional initiatives for new technologies
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced, innovative, and rapidly evolving industry and business organization
- Excellent analytical skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to follow issues through resolution
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally as needed. This job may require upwards of 30% travel (12-15 weeks annually) to attend domestic and international conferences, meet ups, and other events which may require overnight stays or week-long stays at locations (depending on project).
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.