Store Communications Principal at Whole Foods Market
The Principal of Store Communications is responsible for overseeing the implementation of internal communication strategies and the daily functions for two primary consolidated communication channels to funnel global and regional-to-store messaging.
The successful candidate will blend skills and experiences that bridge store operations, content strategy, technology, and communications. They will interact with an extensive group of cross-functional partners by advocating for crafting clear, simple, effective messaging to drive for successful in-store execution, customer experience and ensure information reaches the right store audience groups, at the right time, via the right channel.
This leader will insist on the highest standards, dive deep into details, have a strong sense of ownership, distill information to find common threads between tasks, knowledge, and projects, and be energized by juggling priorities. They’ll keep composure in fast-moving situations, embrace ambiguity and changing tides, be able to get up to speed on complex issues quickly, anticipate internal stakeholder questions/reactions, and promptly prepare through messaging strategies.
This role reports to the Executive Leader of Store Communications, working closely with Global cross-functional teams, Regional Leadership, and many stakeholders across the company.
- Responsible for the daily management, timely message delivery, publication, and continuous improvement for the two main internal consolidated store communication channels between global-to-store and regional-to-store messaging.
- Coach the store communication team members to ensure continuity and consistency with communication channel usage, content placement is streamlined and non-duplicative.
- Oversee an annual store communications editorial calendar inclusive of review cycles, updates, and end-to-end process from content collection to publication.
- Develop and lead the implementation of store communication initiatives, project plans and ensures on-time delivery.
- Work closely with subject matter experts across the business to streamline and simplify store communication.
- Develop robust store communication toolkit – how-to guides, templates, communication tenets and guidelines, and style/brand guides integrated with the Marketing Communication and Training Teams.
- Write, translate, and streamline content inputs from global and regional teams into clear, concise, and compelling messages and task lists that help stores get their job done efficiently and various audiences to understand complex issues.
- Identify ways to optimize store communication integration processes, content consolidation opportunities and elevate the store communication channels to support the overall company business strategy.
- Monitor and track store communications channel metrics. Summarize recommendations and compile reports for executive leadership review.
- Develop and maintain store communications training materials for store, regional, global, and internal the store communications team.
- Act as a communications gatekeeper by injecting logic and care into “run the business” type communications from global and regional teams to stores.
- Understand the emerging trends and challenges facing the Store Team Members’ productivity and how it impacts the customer experience.
- Earns trust provides sound counsel and effectively communicates with a wide range of internal stakeholders.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced verbal, writing, and editing skills (business operations and technical writing). Able to present ideas with clarity and vision.
- Strong grammar, writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Exhibits excellent knowledge of store operations and how communication impacts productivity.
- Well organized, detailed oriented, able to multitask, and adheres to deadlines.
- Demonstrated leader with the ability to influence and develop collaborative and productive relationships, driving win-win outcomes.
- Responds promptly and accurately to internal stakeholders and third-party vendors.
- Familiarity with Smartsheet, Content management platform, SharePoint, Microsoft products- Word, PPT, and Excel.
- Knowledge of brick-and-mortar operational communication.
- Follows through on all commitments.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Able to plan and organize project activity in accordance with WFM and project-specific stakeholder expectations.
- Generally familiar with WFM organization, business objectives, and drivers of success.
- BA/BS degree in Communications, Journalism, Store Operations or 4-6 years relevant professional experience.
- 4+ years experience in Grocery brick-and-mortar store communications or similarly sized business-oriented environment.
- Familiarity with utilizing a store communications solution/tools, content strategy, and a variety of communication channels.
- This is an Austin-based role only.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.