Vice President, Communications
Who We Are
First thing you need to know; Bestow is not your typical insurance company. We’ve completely reimagined industry assumptions, and harnessed technology and big data to create life insurance products that aren’t just delightful to use but deliver on our mission: to make financial products accessible to more people than ever before.
Check us out at hellobestow.com
Who We’re Looking For
“Innovative” and “disruptive” can be overused words. But at Bestow, it isn’t jargon, it’s an everyday rally cry. We are rewriting the rules of the 400-year-old, $7 trillion life insurance industry, serving communities who have been underserved in the past, and we believe the future is a bright one.
So, if you’re excited by the idea of building something from scratch, working at a mission-driven company and fundamentally shaking up an age-old industry, please read on.
We’re looking for a passionate, strategic, results-driven Vice President of Communications to
build our Communications practice. This savvy leader will deftly bring the Bestow story to life
through traditional media publicity, events, digital and video communications; social and
influencer activations, and brand partnerships as well as internal comms.
This role reports directly to Bestow’s founders, so we’re looking for someone who’s ready to
make an impact at scale: a truly creative thinker and dynamic leader. The ideal candidate
understands how communications can help drive business goals in a tangible manner while
helping to build a brand that consumers love.
Bestow has so many stories to tell: tech stories, human stories, thought-leadership stories,
financial stories, adulting stories, stories about the disadvantaged, stories about stay at home
spouses—all waiting to be told. We are looking for someone who sees all this, and more.
Someone who is able to connect our life insurance product and the mission behind it, to the
interests of the mainstream media.
- Create and execute annual communications plan to drive strategic brand goals. Then socialize, and ensure uniform delivery of appropriate messaging to all relevant stakeholders and audiences.
- Work closely with the product, content and engineering teams, as well as other internal stakeholders, to discover, create and share stories that further the company’s goals.
- Provide quality control for all communications materials, as well as oversee communications strategy support for key organizational programs and initiatives.
- Work closely with the Chief Marketing officer and brand team to develop Bestow’s corporate and brand narratives and associated messaging hierarchy.
- Develop and implement media relations strategy and plan, seeking high level placements in print, broadcast and online media with goal to elevate the brand awareness in the marketplace.
- Lead the creation of an innovative, powerful earned media strategy: developing tailored pitches, hyper-targeting media contacts, media outreach and placement of stories.
- Lead the creation of press materials: brand messaging, customized pitches, press releases, media training/briefing books.
- Develop and enhance influencer relations for new exposure areas in the insurance and financial industry, and other select passion areas.
- Identify thought-leadership opportunities inclusive of leadership speaking opportunities and op-eds.
- Lead the corporate communications function, assisting executives with messaging and delivery, and serving as spokesperson where necessary and as appropriate.
- Stay well ahead of marketing and media trends and contribute new innovative, breakthrough ideas that help the growth of the company.
- Develop KPIs and ensure measurement tactics in place to quantify exposure and impact.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Solid, 10+ year background in communications.
- Proven expertise building breakthrough communications programs from scratch, inclusive of earned, paid and owned media strategies to build brand awareness and allure.
- A track record of building consensus and delivering high-impact global communications initiatives.
- Proven ability to develop strategy and lead team’s seamless execution of day-to-day tactics.
- A clear demonstration of internal cross-functional partnership and collaboration.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Extensive experience growing and guiding a savvy team of curious and determined multi-disciplinary experts, with oversight of corporate communications, media relations, partner communications and internal communications.
- An energetic, self-starter; works independently, and is able to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- BS/BA degree in Communications, Marketing.
What We Can Offer To You
- Competitive salary
- Generous PTO
- Flexible schedule and work/life balance
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Choose your own computer setup (Mac or PC)
- Office snacks and weekly team lunches
- Team building events and activities
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bestow does not currently sponsor applicants for work visas.
Read Full Job Description