VP, Marketing at Homeward
We're seeking a VP of Marketing to join us in delivering on our mission of building a simpler, customer-centric home buying and selling experience in partnership with real estate agents.
We give homeowners the freedom to buy the home they want before selling their current one. Customers tell us about their home and financial situation, then we provide them with funds to confidently secure their next home with a competitive all-cash offer. This saves them stress from having to list their house without knowing where they're going next, and makes the process of buying and selling a home as predictable and easy as it should be.
Homeward was started in 2018 by Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest growing agent teams in the U.S. We're passionate about our mission to empower customers and their agent partners to buy before they sell while making the entire experience more convenient and certain. We've attracted a strong early customer base in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia, and are building our team to help us deliver our unique solution, and continue evolving our business.
Homeward is backed by top-tier venture investors - Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. We’ve raised over $25 million in equity to grow the business, and have secured over $100 million in debt to buy homes for our customers. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology spaces.
We don’t prioritize money or growth over people. In our customer and internal interactions we apply the golden rule: treat others how we want to be treated. We’re building our customer experience and company culture with this as the guiding principle.
Calm and Focused
We don’t chase every opportunity and rush from urgent task to urgent task. We relax, stay calm, and focus on our company-wide objectives. If something is out of scope, we say “no”. If something feels rushed we slow down and think it through so we can avoid unnecessary rework later. We don’t bombard each other with notifications expecting instant response times. We block off time for deep work so we can get into the flow and create solutions our customers love. Multi-tasking isn’t effective nor enjoyable.
Cross Functional Collaboration
We look at our customers’ experience wholistically and recognize that improving it requires support from multiple functions. Given this, we’re excellent collaborators with a bias towards analytical rigor coupled with rapid, iterative problem-solving. No function is more important than another and we’re eager to work as a team to solve our customers’ toughest problems. We value strong internal alignment, and take pride in understanding and considering our teammates' perspectives before expressing our own.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the company’s marketing efforts with a particular focus on creating exceptional brand and product messaging and positioning.
- Report directly to our CEO and help build a high-impact marketing team as our company scales.
- Create an overall marketing strategy and roadmap with a particular emphasis on researching and executing on our messaging. This will include identifying our target agent partner and customer segment, and defining our market messaging and channel strategy.
- Partner with our Product and Membership teams in creation of agent products that will attract new agent partners and convert them. Then ensure these products are adopted by rolling out and owning consistent, relevant lifecycle marketing.
- Partner with our Agent Success, Customer Success, and Visual Design team members to create collateral that stays on message and is compelling.
- Ensure our marketing efforts are informed by the needs of our customers and agent partners. Conduct surveys, interviews, listen to calls, and do other research needed to understand and empathize with them.
- Ensure our market efforts are informed by the wider ecosystem. Get up to speed on the residential real estate industry and our competitors. Become well-versed in the home buying and home selling processes. Benchmark our marketing efforts against those of our competitors.
- Prioritize your work based on business impact. There’s a lot to do and we can’t do it all. Have an effective approach for deciding which marketing efforts to focus on and when to bring on new team members.
- Manage our PR and ensure we’re getting the exposure we need to attract agent partners, customers, investors, and recruit top-tier employees.
- Manage our ad spend across online and traditional channels. Define and test multiple channels, messages, and creatives, and ultimately identify which combination of these the company can utilize to acquire large volumes of customers at a low CPA.
- Manage our online presence via social platforms to build our agent-friendly brand and position Homeward as a thought leader in partnering with agents to re-imagine the homebuying journey.
What you’ll bring:
- You have 7+ years marketing experience, ideally within a high-performance startup or technology company with a particular strength in crafting brand messaging & positioning.
- You have at least 2 years experience marketing a customer-facing product, ideally within the financial services or real estate space.
- You have at least 2 years experience collaborating with and supporting inside sales teams and partner management teams.
- You’ve created a marketing strategy from scratch and have experience across the entire marketing process, from needs assessment to measurement.
- You're an expert in brand and product messaging.
- You’ve managed an ad budget and optimized spend across channels.
- You have experience with marketing, CMS, and sales process tools (ex: Hubspot, Webflow, Salesforce)
- You’re able to make decisions based on data and set quantitative goals.
- You’ve recruited and managed a high-performance marketing team.
- You’re interested in improving the complex, emotional process of buying and selling a home and making it the exciting milestone in people’s lives that it deserves to be.