I remember what it was like starting my marketing career 10 years ago and absolutely hating it.
I remember what it was like starting my marketing career 10 years ago and absolutely hating it.
I didn’t get into marketing to just drive website signups for some new B2B tech tool.
Or to build great websites for businesses that ultimately didn’t care about helping their clients.
So, if you are doing that in your job now, STOP.
You’re more capable than that. Your creative and analytical skills are going to waste, and for what?
A small increase in revenue that is largely going to be underappreciated, and easily forgotten?
If you’re interested in doing things a little differently and making a big difference in a company that is deeply rooted in putting people first, over CACs, lead-sale rates, and yes, even revenue, then consider joining me at Scribe Media.
- Chris Piper, Director of Marketing at Scribe
If we’ve captured your attention and this sounds like your dream role, we expect you to read the entire career description before you apply!
We call this role “Web Marketing Specialist” but it’s much more than just being a Website Product Specialist or Conversion Rate Optimizationist.
At its core, this role is responsible for owning the experience 100,000+ monthly website visitors have on scribemedia.com.
Success in this role will literally help people understand what Professional Publishing is all about and why Scribe is the best option to help them write, publish, and promote their book. Our entire company operates off of inbound marketing efforts, and the website is at the heart of it all.
Your key responsibilities are essentially creating, optimizing, and maintaining our websites and working collaboratively with the entire marketing team to ensure we provide the best possible user experience for all our visitors.
- Work closely with and coordinate projects with our web development team (don’t worry, you don’t need to know HTML or CSS!)
- Clearly define and enforce best practices for our optimization efforts, including build process and management, methodical testing, visitor UX, etc.
- Always be thinking about the website visitor, and how we can be relentlessly user-focused and provide the best possible experiences
Data analytics and experimentation:
- Analyze website and landing page performance, provide regular reporting and insights and find ways to improve conversion rates
- Develop, implement, and analyze A/B split and multivariate testing scenarios for landing pages and popular content pages via Google Optimize
Growth marketing mindset:
- Finding innovative ways to leverage our website as a marketing communication tool
- Continuously testing new hypotheses and research trends and benchmarks
- Ensuring operational excellence by finding new ways and processes to optimize and automate work
Note that we have a dedicated web and UX designer, copywriter, and web development team already in place, so you’ll be fully supported in your work so you can focus on strategic growth, instead of just technical implementation.
We're still small (less than 10 people in the Marketing Division, but growing rapidly), so this is the perfect opportunity for someone who wants to eventually lead an entire web department. We have no problem fast-tracking people who work hard and produce results.
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 1500 authors in six years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
You In? Awesome, here's the details:
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career:
- Experience: Minimum 1+ years of experience in web project management (like WordPress website builds), SEO basics, and Google Analytics. Minimum 1+ years of full funnel CRO experience, A/B testing experience, etc.
- Proficient with the usual tech: WordPress, the Google ecosystem of Optimize, Analytics, Tag Manager, Search Central; Hotjar, Unbounce, Drift, etc. (Or can learn it quickly!)
- Willing to Drive Results: If you like to actually get things done, this is the place for you. If you want to just be busy and engage in work theater, this is not the right place.
- Deep Desire to Improve: We have a culture that is built on everyone working hard to learn and improve and push themselves. This is very serious—if you don't care about getting better, this is the wrong place.
- Optimistic & Positive: We believe that optimism and positivity are superpowers. If you have a great attitude and your default state is in a good mood, that is a skill.
- Organized and Detail-Oriented: We’re agile and move quick. You must be able to stay organized and keep details straight, or it messes with the rest of the division. In fact, impeccable attention to detail is so important that for the question that asks you what is your favorite animal we want you to answer "Impeccable attention to detail is my middle name.”
- Enthusiastic Learner: We will be solving new and complex problems together in this role. Our marketing strategies are multi-faceted and require lots of crucial planning, mapping and manipulating (in a good way) technology and tools to achieve our goals. That often means we need to teach ourselves new skills by conducting research or connecting with outside experts in order to drive forward our results. The idea of learning new things with a large degree of autonomy and working outside of your comfort zone should absolutely thrill you, rather than terrify you.
Salary & Benefits
Competitive Pay: $75,000
Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
Scribe’s success is directly related to the Results of the Tribe. That’s why every time Scribe achieves our revenue and profit margin goals, all Tribe Members are eligible to earn a Results-Based Bonus. Even better, the payout increases in direct correlation with our success--the more we exceed our goals as a Tribe, the larger the portion of those earnings we receive.
Free Book Benefit: start working on your book from day 1! All Tribe members can attend a Guided Author or Memoir workshop. After completing 18 months of service, all Tribe Members can elect to receive ONE free Scribe Guided Author, Scribe Publishing, or One Last Book package. And, should go without saying, but of course you have access to read all the books we work on!
We have Work with your dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
Plus, we eat a free lunch together in the office on Fridays!
Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
Freedom & Flex Work: While you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO) or gym clothes (like our founders) or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you do your job well. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, this is not a remote position.
Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just about 80 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Everyone has a story to share. Our CEO, JeVon “JT McCormick”, is just one Tribe Member example.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by viewing the role directly on our hiring portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and promotions boxes in case our emails end up there! To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/p/5160fb3df945-website-optimization-manager.
We're only considering candidates located in the United States, and that are authorized to work in the United States. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a 2k bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.