Architect, Sr Principal
Leading uniquely at the intersection point of technology and social good, Blackbaud provides software, services, expertise, and data intelligence that empowers and connects people to advance the social good movement. We serve the entire social good community, which includes nonprofits, foundation, corporations, education institutions, and the individual change agents who support them. We work with over 40,000 organizations, helping them realize their goals, fund their missions, manage their operations, and develop long-lasting supporter relationships. Our customers are passionate about making the world a better place, and we’re inspired by the opportunity to help them.
As an Architect, Sr. Principal, you’ll collaborate with project team members (Product Owners, Engineers, Project Managers, etc.) to ensure the development and implementation of solutions built. You’ll provide technical mentorship to your peers and junior engineers by facilitating design and code reviews. You’ll provide input on functional requirements, product customization design and implementation.
On specific projects, the Architect, Sr. Principal is primarily responsible for the big picture view or defining the technical vision for the implementation of Blackbaud solutions for clients. Additionally, this role will also work alongside our Sustained Engineering and RDO teams within Blackbaud to represent professional services, improve and define technical processes, methodologies and technical architecture and design around customizations and product enhancements.
Generally, the Architect, Sr. Principal role will:
- Exhibit technical expertise in custom .NET C#, .NET VB, T-SQL. SSIS
- Communicate effectively with various levels of employees across the organization, from developers to architects
- Interface with Offshore and Onshore developers and development teams during the creation of custom applications
- Design, develop, and deploy application solutions using user-centric design methodology
- Provide technical support and subject matter expertise to internal and external business partners
- Manage client interactions and prioritize tasks for multiple concurrent projects
Specific responsibilities include:
- Create Solution Architecture documentation and customization strategy (scoped project deliverables)
- Identify & manage the provision for necessary environments required for implementation of the project.
- Keep track of application performance in client environments and surface the risk associated with customizations and/or integrations before it becomes an issue. Engage the right resources to troubleshoot the problem.
- Set up Source Control Repository in Team Foundation Server (TFS) with proper branching structure.
- Review functional specification documents for quality, thoroughness, technical feasibility, and adherence to the technical vision of the project.
- Create a high level technical approach for every customization and document that in user story in JIRA under the client project by translating Business Requirements Document (BRD)/Functional Specification into Development Queue work item/s.
- Review estimates in scope and refine as necessary based on detailed understanding of the requirements in partnership with Developer Lead.
- Provide technical guidance and development assistance to client developers/development teams in co-development projects with Blackbaud.
- Keep the project team/s informed of technical items, upcoming service pack features/fixes that may impact their work.
- Collaborate with conversion and BI/reporting teams to keep them aware of custom tables, attributes, smart fields etc. that may be prerequisite to their work.
- Manage changes in customization requirements, including identifying items that are out of scope and support Engagement Managers in drafting Change Orders to add/remove items from the scope.
- Perform selective code review of Blackbaud-developed customizations. Perform code reviews of customizations developed by client and provide feedback, technical guidance, and recommendation for supplemental training as necessary.
- Participate and provide feedback in internal demo of customization/s led by development team and collaborate with Business Analyst/Functional Consultant in demo completed customization/s to the client.
- Early in the project identify customizations that can be reused and provide guidance to Development Team to for a generic high level solution approach that will support the code reuse for other clients.
- Provide technical advice and guidance during the pre-sales process, including identifying requirements, preparing technical content for scope and estimates, and responding to client queries of a technical nature.
- Develop customizations
- Participate in Lessons Learned and Sprint Retrospectives.
Requirements of Architect, Sr. Principal:
- 5 - 10+ years of IT experience
- Bachelors and/or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Information Technology or Engineering, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ Experience in the following: SQLServer, ASP.NET, Single Page Application Frameworks
- Experience with database design and programming
- Strong troubleshooting experience
- Experience with formal software delivery and quality methodologies
- Ability to multi-task, work independently and as part of multiple teams
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Knowledge of Blackbaud products and experience preferred but not required
- Some travel may be required
Why you’ll want to come work here:
- Competitive salary (commission/bonus based on type of role), 4 weeks paid time off, great benefits (medical, dental, vision, FSA), 401K match
- Gift matching, volunteer for vacation program, and endless community involvement opportunities
- Named to Forbes’ Fast Tech 25 and Fortune’s Change the World List; we are growing and offer incredible opportunity for advancement
- Tremendous company culture and office perks as well as a new cutting-edge new headquarters completed in 2018
Blackbaud is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, or veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
To all recruitment agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.