Buyer - Full Time at Whole Foods Market
- Provides regional input to Category Manager on category strategy, including regional customer and product trends and the competitive landscape.
- Develops and executes category assortment plan, including supplier line reviews, assortment analysis, item planning and forecasting.
- Develops local category strategies within the context of the broader category strategy.
- Networks constantly to identify and nurture relationships with local suppliers.
- Collaborates with Foragers to source potential new local items / suppliers and serve as resource / advisor for local growers and producers.
- Partners with Space Management to translate regional assortment plan into a merchandising plan and store-level planograms.
- Develops and executes category promotional planning for region-only items, including planning and executing key promotional events and reacting in-season based on sales performance and the competitive landscape.
- Assists with and/or provides pricing strategy recommendations.
- Conducts ongoing analysis of region-only items and performance trends.
- Identifies region-only items with potential for expansion into other regions.
- Partners with support teams to ensure region-only execution.
- Partners with Product Coordinator to ensure effective and timely store communication regarding assortment, planogram, promotions, etc.
- Partners with Regional Marketing on marketing and promotional events.
- Understands and applies buyer / procurement concepts, principles and practices.
- Able to evaluate and certify suppliers and producers.
- Develops and applies buying / procurement practices that meet company and customer expectations, ensure quality and maximize savings and efficiencies.
- Demonstrates strong interpersonal communication skills and high levels of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Tailors communication approach to specific situations and audiences.
- Able to negotiate mutually beneficial supplier / producer arrangements, terms and conditions.
- Applies analytical skills to evaluate and interpret purchasing, procurement, contract, delivery, quality, pricing and other issues.
- Creates spreadsheets, charts and reports that contain relevant projections and performance data that can be clearly understood by diverse audiences.
- Possesses clear understanding of WFM’s and supported region / stores business objectives.
- Has passion for Organics, Fair Trade and the Natural Foods industry.
- Applies a customer-focused sensibility when analyzing business prospects and / or performing ongoing work activities.
- Understands the WFM product mix, supply base and retail operations.
- Team-player with a positive attitude and comfortable with ambiguity.
- Works effectively with others, in groups, in cross-functional settings and with diverse stakeholders internally and externally.
- Adheres to the WFM principles and core values.
- Displays strong levels of customer service.
Education & Experience:
- BA/BS degree and 2-4 years’ relevant experience OR equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended any time at the sole discretion of Whole Foods Market. The appropriate country or jurisdictional laws, processes, professional or regulatory bodies, and qualifications apply outside of the United States.
At Whole Foods Market, we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all Team Members and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or any other legally protected characteristic. Whole Foods Market hires and promotes individuals solely based on qualifications for the position to be filled and business needs.