Chief Services Officer at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a "2020 Best Place to Work" in Austin, is hiring a new Chief Service Officer (CSO). This critical leadership position is located in our Austin Four Points headquarters office and reports directly to the CEO.
This high-profile, global role will direct and lead our growing 300+ person client service and support team that serves customers in 120+ countries from offices on three continents. BigCommerce is a “customers first” company, meaning that customer success is our #1 company value. The Customer Success Services (CSS) team aspires to world-class excellence and continuous improvement in all aspects of customer success.
The CSO owns global customer success strategy and execution, beginning with onboarding and implementation through post-implementation support, technical service, advice, knowledge development, professional services, and relationship expansion. CSS team success is directly tied to company success. When our customers grow and succeed, so does BigCommerce. The CSS team promotes company revenue growth via customer retention, customer evangelization (which we measure using Net Promoter Score), customer sales growth (in terms of website orders and sales), account upgrades (in terms of additional stores and/or upgraded plans), cross-sell of high-value partner solutions, and professional services (a P&L directly owned by CSS). The CSO oversees these global functions:
- Technical support. This includes 24/7/365 technical and operational support of global customers using phone, email, and chat. We currently operate with very high service levels and CSAT results, and we have a strong record of employee training and development.
- Professional services. Our customers small, medium, and large are offered a range of optional professional services that assist in their growth and success. As part of their contractual plans, customers on Enterprise accounts qualify for graduated levels of dedicated enterprise customer success managers. Optional, paid professional services include launch packages; implementation consulting; full data transfer including catalog, order history, subscription management; education packages (including merchant, agency and developer training); technical account management; and solutions architecting. Revenue from services is BigCommerce’s third largest source of revenue and included in Partner and Service Revenue in our public reporting.
- Self-Help and community. This team owns documentation of the BigCommerce platform for the benefit of customers, agency and technology partners, and employees. We run a successful community platform that features vibrant participation from our customers and partners, as well as a monthly global Town Hall featuring our CEO and product leadership team. This team fuels the passion and skill of the global ecosystem working with BigCommerce.
- Operational excellence. This center of excellence partners with other company functions to identify and implement OE principles on behalf of continuous improvement and world-class efficiency and effectiveness. This function also owns management and coordination of our NPS program working in collaboration with a cross functional team that constantly analyses customer feedback and makes recommendations to improve the customer experience.
- Workforce planning and analysis. This team measures and plans operations across CSS.
Measures of Success:
- Customer retention and sales growth
- Customer satisfaction, best measured using Net Promoter Score
- Service levels, including CSAT, first contact resolution, and response time
- Employee retention, satisfaction, productivity, and growth
- Global expansion: language/geographic coverage and service levels
- Cost relative to budget
- Operational excellence measures
- Direct P&L of professional services
- Indirect P&L of other revenue-impacting activities
- Prior experience as a chief service officer, or equivalent, at a $100m+ revenue internet or software company
- Demonstrated success building and running world-class service organizations, including strategy, delivery, operations, and metrics
- Demonstrated success building and running a professional services organization for larger enterprises
- Personal aptitude for handling and resolving escalations from strategic accounts (BigCommerce serves some of the world’s largest corporations)
- Process and operational excellence passion and expertise with demonstrated and specific success using one or more formal process improvement methodologies, e.g., Six Sigma
- Strong aptitude for metrics, cost management, and efficiency
- Global service expansion experience, ideally including multiple models across EMEA, APAC, and Latin America
- P&L ownership experience, ideally including professional services
- Deep ecommerce experience (strong plus)
- Subscription SaaS experience (strong plus)
- Technical aptitude (strong plus)
- Ability to exemplify and lead BigCommerce values:
- Customers First
- Team on a Mission
- Think Big!
- Act with Integrity
- Make a Difference Every Day
- Ability to exemplify and lead BigCommerce culture and “bucket 2” personal characteristics
This description is intended to serve as a summary of key duties and responsibilities and may not contain a comprehensive list of activities.