Buying a home should be an exciting milestone. But all too often, it’s stressful, especially in a competitive market or when you’re buying and selling at the same time. So we’re redesigning the homebuying experience. We’re a fast-paced real estate startup that empowers agents to help homebuyers buy with cash. We buy homes on behalf of our partners’ clients with our cash, then the client buys the home back from us.
Founder and CEO Tim Heyl, a 10-year industry veteran and owner of one of the fastest-growing agent teams in the country, started Homeward in 2018. In fact, he bought our first customer’s home with his own life savings. Today we offer two services — Buy with cash and Buy before you sell.
We’ve raised more than $160MM in equity capital from top-tier venture investors, including Norwest, Blackstone Alternative Asset Management, Adams Street, Javelin, and LiveOak. Our leadership team includes experts from the real estate, mortgage, and technology industries.
About the opportunity
We're seeking a Director of IT & InfoSec to help us build a simpler, more customer-centric home buying and selling experience in partnership with real estate agents. This role reports directly to our VP, Product and works closely with leadership to define, socialize, and execute an IT & Information Security roadmap. This role is ideal for someone interested in improving the complex, emotional process of buying and selling a home and making it the exciting milestone in people’s lives that it deserves to be.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
In this role, you will:
- Lead Homeward’s IT function and have a big impact on the company by setting the course of our IT & InfoSec practices in a fast-paced environment.
- Own the end to end needs of device procurement/management, onboard/offboard tooling, security practices & data governance, and technology selection/cost control.
- Have significant player-coach responsibilities, contributing individually to many segments of IT needs, managing service providers, and hiring a small team over time.
- Design and run regular IT roadmap planning exercises, developing frameworks to synthesize disparate sources of information into clear outcomes-focused initiatives.
- Drive strong internal communication with all facets of the business, instilling a culture of transparency, proactivity, and collaboration by producing succinct, regular updates, driving alignment, and resolving conflict effectively.
- Develop measures of IT efficacy, create and socialize reporting on progress, and maintain a data-driven approach to IT practices.
- Identify, negotiate and select outside services, computer hardware, and software services with a clear framework of selection criteria.
- Partner closely with our VP, Legal to co-steer our internal Information Security working group and collaborate with our broader Legal department to ensure proper data governance practices & compliance is fulfilled throughout the organization.
- You have demonstrable expertise in all facets of IT & InfoSec practices as well as previous leadership experience in a high-performance startup or technology company. While there is no hard and fast rule on years of experience, it’s likely the ideal candidate will have 8+ years of experience in the IT & InfoSecurity domain and 3+ years of management experience.
- You’re collaborative and open to feedback. You’re great at working as part of a team and love getting input on your roadmap to serve broader organizational needs.
- You have incredible verbal/written communication skills and customer service mindset.
- Experience developing clear, communicable plans in a fast-paced environment and delivering against those plans within a cross-functional and, at times, ambiguous environment.
- Deep technical knowledge and depth combined with the ability to translate concepts into non-technical, biz focused terms to collaborate effectively with all segments of the organization.
- A proven ability to proactively identify and resolve technical, process, organizational, and resourcing challenges with creative solutions.
- Expert analytical and quantitative skills; experience using hard data and metrics to back up assumptions and develop business cases and coach team members to develop such skills.
- You’re able to ship quickly and adjust your process to fit the needs of an early stage startup. You create high-quality solutions in short cycle times. You value shipping a good solution now over a great solution several weeks from now.
THE GOLDEN RULE
Whether we’re dealing with colleagues or customers, we follow The Golden Rule, treating others the way we want to be treated. It’s a simple rule, but it’s also significant: we don’t prioritize money or growth over people, and we practice empathy at every opportunity.
We work in tech and build solutions for real estate. Both are fast-paced and stressful industries. So it’s important that we focus on the larger objective rather than rushing from one task to the next. If something is out of scope, we say “No.” If something feels rushed, we pump the brakes. This calm focus helps us create solutions our customers love.
ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM
Big problems require big solutions. We look at our customers’ experience holistically, and recognize that solving them requires collaboration across teams. This approach extends to cooperation among our three affiliate companies — Homeward, Homeward Mortgage, and Homeward Title — and results in a better homebuying experience.