Director of IT Operations
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers more than 10 trillion requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About the department
The Director of IT Operations will be accountable for driving all administrative, financial and operational activities for the IT organization. He/She will will partner with fellow team members and business functions to foster a regular cadence for critical activities such as IT strategic planning, budget planning and tracking, and change management. He/She will coordinate and liaise within IT and with other business functions. This role is a key member of the IT leadership team and reports directly to the Head of IT.
About the role
- Strategy Development and Execution:
- Facilitate and influence the systematic long-term action plan for an IT service organization to support, execute, and achieve defined objectives
- Leads the IT PMO and ensures best practices for planning, management and delivery of IT projects
- Collaborate with business partners to ensure the IT service portfolio evolves and aligns with Cloudflare’s goals and objectives
- Provide transparency to IT KPIs to the executive leadership team
- Operational Excellence:
- Acts as centralized source and driver for implementation of new standards, processes and policies; and ensures activities are based on the priorities of the Head of IT
- Focal point for managing IT Compliance, requests, issues and audits
- Drives cadence for IT change management to mitigate risks and impact to user productivity and critical business functions.
- Provides oversight for all IT communications
- IT Service Level Management:
- Lead the IT Service Desk and develop best practices for first-point-of- contact resolution, and triage and dispatch of IT requests and issues.
- Work with the IT teams to ensure consistency in the way teams forecast demand for IT services, develop and maintain service level agreements with business partners, and manage service levels to support business requirements
- Develop the framework by which IT measures success
- Anticipate how changes in business strategy could impact IT to ensure service continuity
- Financial Management:
- Manage the IT financial budget
- Partners with fellow IT Leaders, Finance and Procurement to ensure transparency into IT budgets, how they are tracked, and performance to plan
- Ensures IT Leaders present responsible requests for expenses and adjusts spend as necessary.
- Produces reports for review on budget tracking, and identifies strategies to adjust budget when needed
- IT Procurement & Vendor Management:
- Oversees the negotiation, administration and renewal of all vendor contracts, tracks spend against negotiated terms of the contracts
- Drives quarterly business reviews to ensure vendors are delivering services per service level and availability agreements.
- Administers payments and resolves disputes in accordance with contract terms and conditions
- Oversees the asset life cycle for all software and IT hardware
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- 15+ years managing and delivering IT services and projects
- 10+ years managing vendor contracts and performance
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. /B.S.) or equivalent in computer science, engineering, business administration or related discipline
- Action-oriented with track record of successfully managing multiple and simultaneous deliverables per commitments
- Expert skills defining, developing, implementing and gaining support for project and support methodologies, processes and policies
- Deep experience partnering with Finance, Legal, Audit and Compliance functions to
- Experience defining, establishing and managing service level agreements
- Strong leadership, project management and interpersonal skills including collaboration, influencing & aligning.
- Confident with executive-level management to negotiate and to influence policy-making.
- Effective decision making and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams
- ITIL Certification
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Project Athenian: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.