*The person in this role must be willing and able to work weekends. This is a full time position with the option to work Wednesday through Sunday, Saturday through Wednesday, or Thursday through Monday.*
The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Escalation Manager is a critical role within Technical Services, working internally with our Engineering, Services, Sales and Product Management teams, as well as externally with customers and partners, to coordinate and drive the resolution of critical technical issues. Transparency is key and is achieved by providing timely and accurate updates to senior management regarding active escalations, as well as important detail on the status of the customer account.Team Description
Technical Services has over 200 team members in offices including New York, Austin, Palo Alto, Dublin, Sydney, Delhi, Tel Aviv and Buenos Aires. Outstanding customer satisfaction is achieved utilizing a 24x7x365 ‘follow-the-sun’ support model with regional teams covering North America, EMEA, and APAC regions.Candidate Profile
Our ideal candidate is highly organized, articulate and adept at taking charge of situations while multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment. They have the ability to quickly assess the business impact of an issue and effectively gather the appropriate resources that will drive the issue to resolution. The individual strives to understand the strengths and roles of individuals and cross-functional relationships in our organization, to develop and pursue the best plan of action. This person ensures that the customer’s voice is heard throughout the escalation process, establishes correct expectations, and drives the resolution of the case through effective internal and external communication.
The successful candidate will have enough technical depth to understand how product behavior drives technical escalations. They are able to determine which skillsets are necessary to address and de-escalate the technical crisis, while also understanding the broader impact of the escalation on account health. The ideal candidate will have a background in customer-facing Support or Services, but candidates from a Development, Systems or Database background will also be considered.
- Responsible for managing a small number of high-impact escalations
- Mapping all customer points of contact and their role in the escalation
- Setting and resetting customer expectations on status and timelines
- Determining, alongside Engineering subject matter experts, who within MongoDB will need to be involved in order to resolve the escalation
- Obtaining the commitment of Engineering and Field leadership to dedicate the agreed-upon resources to the resolution of the escalation
- Organizing internal calls with MongoDB personnel to ensure awareness and synchronization of our efforts to resolve the escalation
- Organizing customer calls and MongoDB attendance of those calls
- Determining the necessary cadence of communication with the escalated customer and ensuring we follow that cadence
- Ensuring that our Follow-the-Sun model is effectively and consistently utilized to resolve managed escalations
- Developing and sending regular (textual) executive summaries to internal stakeholders, including members of the executive team as necessary, until escalation is resolved
- Ensuring timely delivery of all MongoDB commitments to customers and internal stakeholders, along with other MongoDB managers, and actively communicating any deliverables that slip schedule
- Deliver timely and high quality incident resolution focused on root cause analysis, prevention, and knowledge transfer of learnings from the issue
- Identify, manage and record escalation trends
- Onsite customer visits as required
- Ability and willingness to work Saturdays and Sundays
The Escalation Account Manager will be successful in this role by building strong relationships with our strategic clients and in reducing the impact of escalated support cases.
In your first year you will have successfully handled at least ten long-running escalations and received positive feedback on them, documented escalation procedures, developed a list of Subject-Matter-Experts (SMEs) to engage in escalations related to specific product areas. You will also be involved in developing a training plan for new hires into the Escalation Manager role. After each escalation, you will run a “post-mortem” review of the escalation to document what we learned and to make ongoing suggestions for improving our related processes, documents, and tools.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.