Head of Acquisitions – Austin, TX
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Amherst is searching for a Head of Acquisitions for its single family residential team. The ideal candidate is well-versed in the single family residential market; including how to track deal flow, return requirements, using recent sales data & pricing to forecast future book of business and understanding market conditions & indicators in their decision making process. The Head of Acquisitions is able to evaluate, price and purchase at volume via MLS, auction and block purchases. The Head of Acquisitions manages a team of acquisition specialists and underwriters and is constantly seeking efficiency while using technology and process based approach to profitability.
- Oversee the Acquisition department’s underwriting and acquisition of single-family properties for both internal and investor portfolios
- Work with partners in Acquisition Management, Construction, and Property Management to move newly acquired houses into stabilized rentals as quickly as possible
- Build repeatable processes for successfully identifying and underwriting properties in a supply chain fashion
- Constantly working with your management team to identify efficiencies to purchase a substantial number of homes on a monthly basis
- Assessing and analyzing property and market fundamentals for new property acquisitions, managing due diligence, drafting offering memorandums & investment summaries along with company exec summary, and also get involved in assisting with closing transactions.
- Seeking out and conducting underwriting on new potential Multifamily & CRE acquisitions
- Performing asset-level valuations, ROI & IRR analyses for value-add & core asset acquisitions
- Creating, maintaining, and updating financial models of existing and potential new investments, and build a database for the pipeline
- Assisting in the development of analytic & quantitative tools to enhance and streamline investment processes and development models
- Stress testing investment performance through the scenario and sensitivity analysis by building forecasting models and proforma projections
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Mathematics, Statistics, Quantitative Analysis or similar field; Masters degree preferred
- Minimum 12 years in valuing and acquiring single-family or multi-family residential properties at scale
- Demonstrated experience building and leading teams, as well as how to connect capabilities with compensation, performance and promotions
- Constantly seeking new avenues for acquiring bulk, distressed or bank owned properties
- Strong communication skills at all levels within the organization
- Data analytics driven, and able to create & deliver reports for executive leadership and investors
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.