Manager, Developer Documentation at BigCommerce
BigCommerce is disrupting the e-commerce industry as the SaaS leader for fast- growing, mid-market businesses. We enable our customers to build intuitive and engaging stores to support every stage of their growth.
BigCommerce, named a 2020 "Best Place to Work" in Austin, TX, is looking for a Manager, Developer Documentation to lead the Developer Documentation team. You will work with all key stakeholders to refine, augment, and manage resources designed for the developer audience. By doing so, you will help to grow, evolve, and scale this program over time. You are responsible for developing processes, strategies, and metrics required to efficiently manage and scale our developer-specific resources, documentation, and end-user experience.
Using your extensive technical and leadership experience, you will manage a team of writers, develop a documentation strategy, give feedback, collaborate internally, and lend specific content expertise.
You will succeed by increasing the usage, relevancy, accuracy, and helpfulness of public-facing resources across our developer ecosystem, as well as by working to define, monitor and maintain the metrics that show your success. You are required to create and follow through on project plans, objectives, and strategies for content and resource management in order to improve the end-user experience. The work you will oversee will be impactful and highly visible to millions of our users across the globe.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage content experience for all public-facing BigCommerce developer-related resources, including style guide(s), content presentation/structure, and taxonomy, with a focus on ensuring content is relevant, accurate, consumable, and accessible.
- Foster and nurture deep cross-functional relationships between Docs, UX, Product, Engineering, Learning & Development, Customer Support, and other internal teams.
- Provide direction in the development and implementation of a formal content strategy for the developer audience.
- Develop and manage best practices, guidelines, and policies for documentation creation, management, and publication.
- Manage and account for the performance of team members and their KPIs.
- Evolve business processes and improve business workflows to increase team efficiency, productivity, and effectiveness.
- Develop and report on key metrics associated with public-facing developer resources, creating action plans as needed based on insights and trends.
- Gather usability feedback from various audiences to ensure continual improvement of the public-facing developer resources.
Who you are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Communications or related field.
- 5+ years content lifecycle management experience.
- 1+ years experience managing people and resources preferred.
- Ability to disseminate technically complex concepts into a simplified and well-organized .format for consumption by a wide range of audiences.
- Strong developer orientation, with an understanding of developer needs and concerns.
- Familiarity with API concepts and documentation.
- Proficiency in 1+ programming language.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently with little oversight.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong interdepartmental communication and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous priorities effectively.
- Familiarity with project management concepts and related software, e.g. JIRA.
- Experience with Markdown-based documentation platforms.
- Experience with documentation platform analytics and event tracking tools such as Google Analytics and Segment.
This description is intended to serve as a summary of key duties and responsibilities and may not contain a comprehensive list of activities.
Diversity & Inclusion at BigCommerce
We have the opportunity to build not only a great business, but a great company, with soul. Our beliefs and commitment to diversity and inclusion are a central part of achieving that.
Our dedication to diversity and inclusion is grounded in two things: a moral belief in the dignity, value, and potential of every individual, and a practical belief that diverse, inclusive teams will create the best outcomes for our customers, partners, employees, and company. We welcome everyone to be a part of our journey.