Network Security Research Architect . (Relocation to Austin, TX Offered)
NSS Labs, Inc. is the global leader in operationalizing cybersecurity. Through continuous security validation and global threat discovery and automation, NSS Labs empowers enterprises to reduce the operational burden of cybersecurity and address crucial gaps in their cybersecurity efforts. Informed by our experience and strong foundation of security product validation, NSS Labs offers CAWS, a cyber threat protection platform that provides businesses with visibility into the cyber kill chain and automated insights into active threats. With global visibility into active threats and vulnerabilities, CAWS delivers a unique cyber risk rating that makes cybersecurity measurable and helps enterprises focus their resources in the areas that make the most difference. Combined, this information enables businesses to continuously monitor and respond to threats, strengthen their cybersecurity posture, and have confidence that they are appropriately securing the enterprise. CISOs, security operations teams, threat researchers, and information security professionals from many of the world's largest and most demanding enterprises rely on trusted insights from NSS Labs. For more information, visit www.nsslabs.com.
NSS Labs is hiring a Network Security Research Architect to be based in Austin, Texas. The Research Architect will report to the Managing Director of the NSS Enterprise Architecture Research Group (EARG).
The network security research architect is a hands-on technologist and should be comfortable working with, and having an opinion about, network security products from industry-leading vendors. The position involves fielding varying levels of technical inquiry from NSS’ enterprise customers as well as writing research reports/blogs that build on NSS’ extensive product test data and primary research data.
This is not an entry-level position. Your proven practical expertise will drive efforts related to the development of research that fuels pertinent enterprise-client discussions and aids in the development of NSS’ world-class test methodologies. You will be part of company that is chartered with making a difference in the world of cybersecurity.
The ideal candidate must possess a good understanding of technology trends and the underlying competitive environment, be interested in, and skilled at, writing and communicating to various audience levels. Perhaps most importantly, the right candidate must desire to advance transparency and accountability within the cybersecurity industry.
This is an excellent role for a seasoned sales/field engineer in the network security space who desires to up-level their exposure to multiple security technologies, influence a broad audience and work closely with similarly-minded individuals focused on a common goal.
- Prepare clearly articulated, well-researched, and credible technical reports, blogs, and commentary using NSS test data, expert opinion, primary research, and secondary sources.
- Manage and support enterprise client engagements ranging from simple inquiry calls to larger architectural engagements; present NSS’ research and expertise to enterprise clients at internal and external events.
- Provide NSS’ primary research team with data regarding the enterprise use of network security technologies; work with primary research team to finalize these questions and work to aggregate survey data to ensure validity.
- Communicate the use case for leading security products, including comparing/contrasting use cases and explaining underlying technologies to both engineering and business audiences.
- Build relationships and engage with enterprise clients, vendors, services providers, the reseller community, and industry bodies through teleconferences, on-site briefings, and travel to major industry events.
Interested individuals that meet the following minimum requirements are encouraged to apply:
- 5+ years work experience within the IT security industry with hands-on field work installing, managing, and troubleshooting network security products for medium to large enterprise clients. Our research architects are practitioners as well as evangelists.
- Demonstrate deep technical understanding of at least one network security technology and be able to compare technologies from multiple vendors.
- Possess confident and approachable enterprise client-facing demeanor backed by a genuine interest in enterprise client IT security challenges; experience with public speaking is preferred.
- Familiarity with well-known security testing tools (both performance- and threat-based)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with strong documentation skills and with the ability to consistently manage and meet deadlines as well as communicate status.
- Comfortable working with numbers – solid analytics experience.
- Background experience examples include sales/field engineering, competitive intelligence, IT security administrator, etc.
- Minimum university or college degree, BA, BS, or equivalent.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint intermediate-level experience required
- Industry certification; for example, CISSP, etc.
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Occasional travel as needed
- Currently reside in, or be willing to relocate to, Austin, Texas
Please follow us on Twitter @workatnsslabs
At NSS Labs, we hire innovative and talented individuals with a passion for leading-edge technology. We have a culture of innovation, where quality, originality, and “thinking outside the box” are encouraged. Our leadership fosters professional growth and support, all within a fast-paced environment.
Third party resumes are not currently being accepted. NSSLabs, Inc. will not pay a fee for unsolicited resumes.