Come work at Smarter Sorting!
Smarter Sorting is a purpose-driven company committed to increasing sustainable options for unsold or damaged products. Our cutting-edge machine learning technology enables cost-effective, compliant decisions for all unsold products, and our process advances our partners’ zero-waste goals.
As a collective group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, and national account program managers, our passion for data-driven sustainability drives us toward a singular goal: to reduce waste through the salvation of unwanted items. Our goal is to take valuable products currently being driven hundreds of miles and burned and have them be used for their original purpose in local communities.
At Smarter Sorting: We do what it takes. We are driven to become experts. We are not jerks. We are real. We have grit. A healthy culture is key to our company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness. Our core values drive our culture and in turn, we achieve our vision.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
About the Role
One of the main challenges we face as we continue to grow is internal and external support. The Operations Associate will have the opportunity to jump in at the early stage of our startup and make a real impact by building a base of support for the rest of the team and our customers. This person will be most valuable if they are organized and proactive in owning the many unique projects and tasks that are diverse in scope and priority.
Their main accountabilities will be 60% operational and 40% office management. They will be responsible for coordinating office activities and operations while providing support to our Senior VP of Operations to improve the organization. Tasks will vary according to the strategic business needs of our organization with a heavy focus on office & inventory management, shipping & logistics, travel coordination, telephone services, email correspondence, mail distribution and ownership of our company internal wiki and external partnership wiki.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Collaborate with the Senior VP of Operations on internal projects & develop efficient internal processes
- Cooperate with different departments to improve business operations
- Take ownership and accountability of operational projects such as shipping, travel coordination, one-off customer projects, employee events, etc.
- Serve as the main point of contact for the office, greeting visitors and managing incoming deliveries
- Answer our general phone line and direct calls to appropriate individuals or deliver messages
- Sort incoming mail and deliver to appropriate departments or individuals; process outgoing mail and shipping
- Facilitate the maintenance of the office with key vendors including equipment, janitorial services, security, general maintenance, and repairs
- Provide support when needed to assist with assigned administrative or operational duties such as preparing documents, presentations or memos
- Maintain inventory of office supplies, snacks, and drinks; order back stock weekly and own the budget & expense reporting
Your Experience + Skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Associates degree in office administration or related field a plus
- 2+ years of overall operational or customer service experience required
- Experience working as an office manager or project manager a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite or related software
Your 1st month:
- Learn everything there is to know about Smarter Sorting’s internal operations
- Learn office management processes and begin owning the basics
- Ramp up on our industry, specifically our dataFully understand our customer implementation process
- Participate in internal projects
Your first 3 months:
- Actively contribute to bettering our internal projects and office management duties
- Own office management tasks like ordering snacks and managing vendors
- Assist the Senior VP of Operations in coordinating our all-hands event
- Participate in one-off customer projects
- Assist with the launch of our internal KPI dashboard
Your first 6 months:
- Be the master of the internal wiki
- Be able to participate in internal data projects
- Take over most of the office management from our admin team
- Plan and run internal events
Your Benefits & Perks
Smarter Sorting offers:
-Competitive Compensation Packages
-Medical, dental & vision insurance
-Short-term disability insurance
-Continuing Education & Lunch N Learns
-Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
-Snacks, drinks, lunches, and dinners
Read Full Job Description