Senior Director of Global Trust and Safety
Trust is the core tenant of the HomeAway company culture. With almost 2 million properties generating approximately 9 million gross bookings on our platform, it is critical to have a trusting and safe marketplace for our Partners and Travelers. As the Senior Director of Trust and Safety you will be the internal and external voice of the company on these topics, leading the related operational teams, in partnership with the Product and Technology teams, deliver this trust based marketplace.
The globally based operational Trust and Safety team provides both proactive and reactive care for Travelers and Partners in any cases where trust and safety may be a concern with respect stays that are booked on our platform, as well as work with the broader global HomeAway team to expand capabilities and establish policies in order to reduce future safety risks in the marketplace. As a global team, care is taken to ensure local laws, regulations, and customs are taken into account during the localization of the related policies.
You will work with the Senior Vice President of Global Customer Experience at HomeAway. This role is global in scope, directly impacts the quality of the HomeAway marketplace, and helps ensure an exceptional experience for travelers and owners.
What you’ll do:
- Craft forward-looking framework to address safety needs of HomeAway’s customers, both Travelers and Owners/PMs. Understand regulatory requirements and evolving consumer trends and expectations across global regions. Frame these considerations in terms of risk reward for the long-term health of the business. Examples of these issues include, but are not limited to:
- Home Safety (e.g. gas, pools, etc.)
- Assault or Violent Behavior
- Sexual Assault or Harassment
- Drug Activity
- Human Trafficking
- Privacy Expectations
- Work extensively with senior HomeAway leadership to keep them informed, involved, provide feedback and direction on long term strategy in the space, as well as strategic actions in crisis situations.
- Collaborate cross functionally with Product, Marketing, Retail, and Partner Success to prioritize and develop policies that promote trust and safety in the marketplace as well as policies in line with our overall Marketplace Strategy (e.g. Inclusion, Book With Confidence, Service Animals, etc.).
- Build proactive safety program, leveraging predictive analytics, in conjunction with Product and Technology/ADI groups.
- Partner with Customer Experience Crisis Operations team to build efficient operations and related processes to support consistent delivery of policies and the ability to quickly and reliably respond to crises related to trust and safety.
- While Public Relations/Crisis Communications leads communications efforts with media, development of primary talking points, and approves of any formal external and internal communications, the Sr. Director of Trust and Safety will keep closely informed on, as well as provide feedback as needed, on all crisis related communications.
- Collaborate with Public Relations and Legal in any external response or message related to safety issues.
- Further refine the operational platform that investigates and provides quick resolution to complex, high visibility complaints regarding trust and safety, examining both sides of incident disputes and resolves reciprocally.
- Work with relevant Content, Product, and Product Marketing teams to educate Partners and Travelers on how to maintain security and safety while using the HomeAway platform responsibly.
- Engage and maintain positive relationships with outsourced providers and expertly source and use outsource resources as needed.
- Coordinate with Technology, Customer Experience Product Integration, Technology, and Product teams regarding the evaluation and procurement of any external tool for agents. For example, tools to complete background checks.
- Coordinate with Customer Experience Product Integration team to develop or improve agent tools to support safety, trust or risk agent needs.
- Keep informed and up to date on relevant law and policy, as well as marketplace safety standard methodologies and lead initiatives to keep HomeAway’s policies up to date. Be a HomeAway inspiring leader in this space.
- Facilitate long-term initiatives and new strategies as marketplace dynamics change.
Who you are:
- BA/BS required
- 6 – 8 years trust and safety, compliance and/or marketplace experience, including the development and enforcement of policies and procedures
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills necessary to analyze data, regulatory requirements, product limitations and the effectiveness of proposed resolutions
- Idea-driven, confident and articulate leader who wants to make a substantial impact
- Collaborative teammate with the ability to work independently and exercise good judgment balancing impact to participants in the marketplace and potential risk to HomeAway
- Excellent internal and external communication skills, including the ability to draft externally facing talking points. Comfortable and effective performing speaking engagements, participating in large groups
- Demonstrates core value of trust and understands the need for confidentiality and privacy with respect to complex Partner and Traveler issues and HomeAway sensitive information
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task while calmly leading and effectively influencing multi-functional teams in fast paced environment
- Adaptable and willingness to adopt change
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and work closely with teams
- Dedicated passion for the work and excitement to jump in
- Industry experience in eCommerce, sharing economy or online marketplaces
- Experience working internationally, with a global mindset
What we offer:
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Parental leave for up to 20 weeks (dependent on eligibility).
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com.
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
- Casual dress.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
HomeAway, a world leader in the vacation rental industry, is the place to book beach houses, cabins, and condos with more than two million places to stay in 190 countries. The site makes it easy to find and book the perfect vacation rental for any getaway, often for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.