Senior Director - Head of Real Estate & Workplace Operations at Cloudflare
At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers trillions of requests per month. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare have all web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer and named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!About the Role
The Director of Global Real Estate will be responsible for managing our global real estate portfolio and leading a team of regional leaders overseeing employee workplace services and general facilities operations. The successful candidate will lead the development and implementation of the global real estate strategy in support of Cloudflare’s long-range business plan and the company’s talent strategy. In this position you will demonstrate your subject matter expertise in global real estate portfolio management including site selection, construction, budgeting, project and risk management. This role will require excellent problem solving, influencing & strategic planning across the whole organization.
This position will report to the Vice President of Finance.What you'll do
- Lead a team to develop and realize a real estate strategy facilitating Cloudflare’s ability to make timely decisions in advance of space needs; ensure the approach and process are well understood by all key stakeholders
- Oversee Cloudflare’s global real estate portfolio, developing metrics and utilizing benchmarks to optimize opportunities, identify trends & understand risks
- Oversee lease management including management of broker relationships, negotiation of terms and renewals
- Lead the process for location/site selection optimizing for commercial terms, talent availability, infrastructure and design
- Serves as a member of the M&A team completing diligence and developing a real estate integration strategy
- Produce long-range forecasting for existing footprint and scenarios for future footprint including capital/OPEX planning and execution
- Ensure viable plans and establish scope, schedule, and budget for the Real Estate function
- Provide management visibility to project portfolio, status, and risks through effective and consistent reporting and budget tracking
- Develop and manage a team of office managers in multiple office locations around the world to provide an energizing employee experience where our employees can do their best work
- Lead and assist teams in the management of all maintenance programs including, space planning, food & beverage, transportation, health & safety
- Implement & manage disaster recovery & business continuity programs
- Work closely with finance to report on financial performance, validate and control vendor costs
- Foster and build collaborative partnerships across the organization
- Manages multiple, parallel projects with minimal direction, exercising independent judgment
- Develop business cases for major real estate decisions working with partners to execute various short, mid and long term initiatives and strategic plans
- Influence, establish and sustain relationships at all levels of the organization
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Demonstrated ability to establish vision and achieve strategic goals
- Emotionally intelligent with the ability to influence, negotiate and build collaborative relationships across the organization
- Strong management and leadership skills and experience with managing relationships with cross-functional and remote teams
- Deep understanding of real estate-related processes including strategic sourcing, supply chain management, human capital management, facilities management, location management, lease transaction management, design, construction and project management
- Proven ability to innovate and drive improvements to existing programs and processes in both the short and long-term
- Strong detail-orientation with robust business and finance acumen
- Demonstrated global mind-set with a strong customer service focus
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent contract and lease negotiation skills
- Superior analytical, and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends in commercial real estate, regulations, technologies, techniques and approaches in workplace engagement, space planning and allocation
- Excellent process design, project management, change management, and consulting skills
- Ability to travel globally as necessary
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Business or Finance (MBA preferred)
- 15+ years of experience in global real estate leadership including managing a global real estate portfolio, including strategy, planning, development & large-scale capital projects
- Knowledge of global real estate standards, policies, metrics & best practices
- Proven record in working with and influencing senior leaders
- Experience managing global teams
- Experience in supplier selection and external vendor management
- Ideally technology industry experience
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.