Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it's necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
This isn't your ordinary Support Engineer role. If you love solving the deepest and and most challenging tech problems, enjoy working with all types of customers from around the world (startups to Fortune 500 corporations), and love variety, this job has it all in spades. Atlassian is a rapidly growing software development company, and the Support team is expanding to allow it to scale with the business. Atlassian Senior Support Engineers are responsible for improving our customers' experience with our products, through advanced troubleshooting and helping our global team of engineers solve our more difficult problems.
More about you
We're looking for engineers with a strong degree of empathy for the customer experience and excellent communication skills. You will need to have a proven ability to deescalate difficult situations with customers, while multi-tasking between tickets and mentoring your team. As a senior support engineer, you should have demonstrated the ability to coach and mentor other support engineers to grow their technical and troubleshooting skills.
You should exhibit strong team oriented interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively interface with a wide variety of people and roles from junior engineers to senior executives. You'll need an ability to successfully manage your time, balancing multiple tasks with varying levels of priority and urgency.
You seek creative solutions to technical problems with the following experience:
- 5+ years experience in a highly technical support role, preferably in a software development environment that dealt with Java/J2EE application troubleshooting
- You have experience configuring and troubleshooting Web application containers such as Tomcat, Jetty, etc.
- You have a general understanding of software development models (Agile, V-model, Waterfall) and methodologies (DevOps, RAD, Scrum, TDD, FDD)
- You have advanced knowledge of Version Control Systems such as git, Mercurial, SVN. Others are a plus
- You have experience with software development practices such as continuous integration and delivery
- Advanced relational database knowledge and experience with most common RDBMS (Postgres, Oracle, mySQL). Other database management systems are a plus
- Advanced knowledge of operating systems (e.g: Linux, OSX, Windows)
- Advanced knowledge and experience with scripting languages such as Bash/sh and/or others
- Advanced knowledge and use of REST APIs. Other types of API are a plus
- Advanced knowledge of computer networking (communication and transfer protocols, proxies, firewalls, authentication and authorization protocols)
- Advanced LDAP knowledge. Similar level of knowledge for other directory information services is a plus
Highly preferred skills/Preferred qualifications:
- Power user level experience using and/or administrating Atlassian Developer Tools such as:
- Bitbucket, Bamboo, Fisheye, Crucible
- Or similar level of experience with competing products such as:
- Gitlab, Jenkins, etc
- Certified (or equivalent proficiency) with any of the following AWS, Azure, Docker, VMware
- Advanced Windows system administration
- Advanced knowledge of enterprise LAN/WAN network architectures
- Background in System Engineering or administration
- Exposure to and knowledge of data center environments with high availability capabilities
- Advanced knowledge of relational database systems such as Postgres, Oracle, mySQL
- Basic knowledge of object relational mapping technologies such as Hibernate, Active Objects
- Advanced knowledge and experience with analyzing running JVM state by means of thread dumps, heap dumps, garbage collector logs
- Debugging software using an IDE
- Advanced knowledge of operating systems (Linux, OSX, Windows administration and resource management)
- Advanced LDAP or other directory information services knowledge and troubleshooting
- Advanced network protocols troubleshooting using network sniffers
- B.S. in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
Your day to day will consist of:
- Global technical escalation management to ensure customer success with Atlassian products
- Use professional written and verbal communications to customer base to resolve application issues
- Resolve customer issues involving code error diagnosis, debugging, validation, and root cause analysis
- Creation and curation of knowledge-base articles and documentation to help customers help themselves
- Perform case reviews to identify trends and improvement areas and define action plans for support engineers
- Evaluate active tickets, prioritizing workload, strategic projects, and monitoring queue health
- Build internal relationships with our development and product management teams to help communicate the needs and urgency of our customers
- Advocate for our customers, influence product direction through customer feedback
- Developing your team in becoming highly skilled support engineers with subject matter expertise in all types of technologies across the Atlassian stack.
More about our team
The team is filled with customer focused individuals that champion and support industry-leading products that are used by a growing list of 50,000+ customers globally. We challenge one another every day and hold ourselves accountable for our work product as well as our customer's overall success. We all enjoy the interactions with the customers, problem solving, digging into complex issues, and actively championing for customers within Atlassian.
We wake up every morning asking ourselves how we can improve the customer's experience, the quality of our product, the quality of our support system, or our individual weaknesses. We are not scared of challenges, nor do we back down or get deterred by tough problems. When problems seem the hardest we are at our best, we work harder to find the root cause and a solution.
We are a combination of passion and persistence. We feel that through our roles we can positively impact millions of end-users and their experience with Atlassian products.
Our team is open, filled with varied backgrounds and talents. We are respectful, focused, located around the globe, and all about providing legendary service to our customers. To learn more about working with the Support Team at Atlassian, check out our Support Team page!
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world's best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub .