Senior Systems Engineer, Email Services at Blackbaud
About the role:
Blackbaud is seeking a Senior Production System Engineer to work among a passionate team responsible for fast and effective bulk email operations support and for engineering innovative infrastructure and application solutions with increasing reliability, scalability, supportability and security. You will play an instrumental role in our journey to a public cloud model while also sustaining a high level of quality in our current co-located data centers, responsible for both cloud-based and physical infrastructure and application solutions. You’ll use your advanced technology and automation skills to meet the demands of rapidly evolving technologies, while relentlessly pursuing opportunities to advance our operational effectiveness and increase customer satisfaction.
As a System Engineer on the Infrastructure Engineering Cloud Operations/Shared Services team you will support our bulk email clients in overcoming delivery and deliverability issues by managing our fleet of Mail Transfer Agents, providing data concerning complex Internet Service Provider/Mailbox Provider issues, and supporting an application infrastructure responsible for sending billions of email messages annually.
What you'll be doing:
- Responsible for the overall health and stability of supported applications, systems and environments by proactively monitoring and responding to events.
- Own your responsibilities with a customer-first mindset, alignment on business priorities, focus on operational effectiveness metrics (SLA/OLAs) and drive to predictably and efficiently deliver on your commitments.
- You will work directly with Development and Customer Success teams to improve our overall bulk email sending program acting as subject matter expert around all things email.
- You will play an integral role in the transition to cloud infrastructure of Email Services.
- Standardize and automate change, validation, and deployment processes to increase efficiency and reduce risk, complexity, waste and cost.
- Proactively monitor capacity and performance management measures to ensure quality and support business growth.
- Drive incident response with relentless focus on restoration of service, followed by tenacious pursuit of root cause and permanent resolution.
- Keep up with industry trends and effectively adapt to demands to rapidly evolving email technologies.
What we'll want you to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Technology or equivalent related work experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in Linux administration
- Working knowledge of Database and Web server Administration (Microsoft SQL and IIS preferred)
- Basic knowledge of bulk mail sending best practices including IP/domain reputation, authentication (DKIM, SPF, DMARC) preferred
- Demonstrated experience with one or more scripting languages (Bash, Microsoft PowerShell)
- Experience with source control technologies required
- A minimum of 5 years in the implementation of cloud technologies and an understanding of SAAS, PAAS, and IAAS models preferred (Microsoft Azure and AWS)
- Practical experience in software engineering best practices such as design patterns, decoupled architectures, and test-driven development preferred
- Available on a 24x7x365 basis when needed for production-impacting incidents or key customer events