Special Investigations Unit Manager at Hippo Insurance
Role: Special Investigations Unit Manager
Location: Austin, TX
Reports To: Claims Leadership
Hippo is modernizing the home insurance industry by putting customers at the center of everything we do, from the coverage we offer to the customer service we provide. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping people protect their homes to begin with by leveraging technology and data to help find small issues before they become big headaches. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
About This Role
Hippo is seeking an experienced Special Investigations Unit (SIU) Manager to provide oversight and guidance in the development of the Hippo nationwide Investigations and Fraud processes. This position will work closely with regulatory agencies and internal functions to identify, investigate and document claims where there is suspected fraudulent activity.
You are an experienced SUI Investigator with demonstrated ability identify suspicious activity and complete investigations of potential fraud. You are self-motivated, directed and have a demonstrated ability to collaborate. You have experience partnering with regulatory agencies and internal teams to identify suspicious indications of potential insurance fraud perpetrated by claimants, insured, agents, brokers, and providers.
- Evaluate claims and transactions to identify suspicious elements to support a SIU investigation.
- Partner with underwriting, audit, and the claims team to determine investigative path and document investigative findings.
- Thoroughly document investigation path and findings for use in future legal proceedings.
- Prepare documentation for and partner with state agencies, DOI and National Insurance Crime Bureau.
- Complete state specific and other necessary training as needed to be subject matter expert on the latest legislation and court decisions that relate to insurance fraud and investigative processes and procedures.
- Provide advice, training, and guidance to claims and other teams on best practices for identifying and reporting potentially fraudulent activity.
- Provide professional, timely and courteous communication and service to external clients, internal teams and Leadership to successfully resolve issues pertaining to SIU and investigative referrals.
- Partner with law enforcement officials in civil and criminal investigation and prosecution. Assist Defense counsel on cases in litigation due to fraud.
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or a related field from an accredited college or university preferred
- 5-10 years Special Investigations Experience with an insurance carrier.
- Former law enforcement experience preferred but not required.
- CIFI – Certified Insurance Fraud Investigator, CIFA – Certified Insurance Fraud Analyst, and CIFR – Certified Insurance Fraud Representative certifications a plus
- Demonstrated experience with Property and Casualty insurance products.
- Possess a solid command of the claims/SIU policies and procedures; exhibits sound interpretation of policies & procedures in investigating and resolving claims.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Must perform well in a fast paced and dynamic environments.
- Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and adhere to project deadlines.
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn how to help others solve problems
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Hippo Meals & Snacks- We cater lunch in our office 3 times a week and we provide all the snacks & drinks our Hippos can handle daily.
- Hippo Habitat- Our beautiful, historic offices are located in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.