Technical Research Architect (Cloud Security Research)
We test the world’s security products. Based in Austin, Texas, our research and testing laboratory is recognized globally as the most trusted source for independent, fact-based cybersecurity guidance.
NSS Labs’ reputation is built on millions of hours of real-world testing. Over the years we have found flaws in thousands of security products across numerous technologies. Our in-depth security testing programs provide our clients with the relevant information they need to support investments in their cyber programs.
C-Suite executives and information security professionals from many of the world's most demanding enterprises rely on NSS Labs to accelerate security decisions with greater confidence.
NSS Labs is hiring a Technical Research Architect to be based in Austin, Texas. The Research Architect will report to the Managing Director of the NSS Enterprise Architecture Research Group (EARG).
The cloud research architect is a hands-on technologist and should be comfortable working with, and having an opinion about, products from industry-leading vendors. The position involves fielding varying levels of technical inquiry from NSS’ enterprise customers as well as writing research reports/blogs that build on NSS’ extensive product test data and primary research data.
This is not an entry-level position. Your proven practical expertise will drive efforts related to the development of research that fuels pertinent enterprise-client discussions and aids in the development of NSS’ world-class test methodologies. You will be part of company that is chartered with making a difference in the world of cybersecurity.
The ideal candidate must possess a good understanding of technology trends and the underlying competitive environment, be interested in, and skilled at, writing and communicating to various audience levels. Perhaps most importantly, the right candidate must desire to advance transparency and accountability within the cybersecurity industry.
This is an excellent role for a seasoned sales/field engineer in the network or cloud security space who desires to up-level their exposure to multiple security technologies, influence a broad audience and work closely with similarly-minded individuals focused on a common goal.
- Prepare clearly articulated, well-researched, and credible technical reports, blogs, and commentary using NSS test data, expert opinion, primary research, and secondary sources.
- Manage and support enterprise client engagements ranging from simple inquiry calls to larger architectural engagements; present NSS’ research and expertise to enterprise clients at internal and external events.
- Provide NSS’ primary research team with data regarding the enterprise use of cloud security technologies; work with primary research team to finalize these questions and work to aggregate survey data to ensure validity.
- Communicate the use case for leading security products, including comparing/contrasting use cases and explaining underlying technologies to both engineering and business audiences.
- Build relationships and engage with enterprise clients, vendors, services providers, the reseller community, and industry bodies through teleconferences, on-site briefings, and travel to major industry events.
Interested individuals that meet the following minimum requirements are encouraged to apply:
- 5+ years work experience within the IT security industry with hands-on field work installing, managing, and troubleshooting cloud security and network security products. Our research architects are practitioners as well as evangelists.
- Demonstrate technical understanding of cloud security technologies, interoperability, and active access to Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure ecosystems.
- Possess confident and approachable enterprise client-facing demeanor backed by a genuine interest in enterprise client IT security challenges; experience with public speaking is preferred.
- Familiarity with well-known security testing tools (both performance- and threat-based)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with strong documentation skills and with the ability to consistently manage and meet deadlines as well as communicate status.
- Comfortable working with numbers – solid analytics experience.
- Background experience examples include sales/field engineering, competitive intelligence, IT security administrator, etc.
- Minimum university or college degree, BA, BS, or equivalent.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint intermediate-level experience required
- Industry certification; for example, CCSK, CCSP, CISSP, etc.
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- Currently reside in, or be willing to relocate to, Austin, Texas
At NSS Labs, we hire innovative and talented individuals with a passion for leading-edge technology. We have a culture of innovation, where quality, originality, and “thinking outside the box” are encouraged. Our leadership fosters professional growth and support, all within a fast-paced environment.
Located in Austin, Texas, NSS Labs offers its team members competitive compensation, medical and dental, and 401(k) benefits. If you feel you have the passion, dedication, and expertise that match our unique company, apply to join our team!
NSS Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age (40 and older), marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, medical condition, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.