Smarter Sorting is looking for a Director of Customer Products to own our current customer-facing applications that serve to acquire and distribute our core product data. This person should be able to get our current customer applications to a place of stable, proactive growth aligned with our data management strategies such that they can transition our product development focus to applications that help us better analyze data from and distribute it directly to our customer’s databases. As such, this person eventually must be able to provide development guidance for internal tools as well.
We are still a small start-up so the ideal candidate needs to be a do-er and a leader/manager that can help develop our other Smarter Sorters. Additionally, this person must become a subject matter expert, not only of their products, but also about how those products integrate into other pipelines in our platform.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Oversee ongoing development of our UI-based, customer-facing products
- Gather and document business requirements/use cases for features for customer-facing products
- Partner with the Technical Leads to transform business requirements/use cases to technical requirements
- Partner with the Design team to ensure that the UI matches feature objectives
- Identify tasks that fall outside of the Product/Design/Tech teams in support of a product feature
- Understand the company’s strategies and overall objectives to provide guidance on prioritization of features
- With assistance from POs and Technical team, develop/maintain/communicate a roadmap for each consumer-facing product
- Manage/mentor/develop Product Owner and Product Analyst
- 4+ years of product management / product ownership experience with 2+ of those years in a leadership capacity
- 2+ years as a Product Owner in a scrum team (Agile development)
- 1+ years experience working in a data analyst capacity
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to think strategically
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with people at all levels of the organization
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven “roll up your sleeves and get it done” reputation in previous endeavors
- SQL knowledge is a PLUS
- Learn everything there is to know about our company, our data, our product suite and the needs of the organizations we work with.
- Ask smart questions and demonstrate a developing comprehension of our products.
- Be able to compose a complete task in our project management software - this includes documenting use cases and working with the Technical Lead to flesh out technical requirements.
- Be able to co-lead a standup with the Project Manager.
- Be able to prepare all sprint tasks (user stories only) in preparation for grooming/planning according to schedule.
- Be able prioritize tasks within grooming/planning (i.e. drive the scope for a given sprint). Collaborate on/draft/socialize a roadmap.
- Create a development plan for each direct report.
- Be able to identify dependencies between products/features/tasks.
- Be able to identify tasks that need to be executed by a team outside of Tech.
- Develop/communicate the strategy and vision for each of the customer-facing products that aligns with company objectives.
Your Benefits & Perks
Competitive Compensation Packages
Medical, dental & vision insurance
Short-term disability insurance
Generous Parental Leave
Unlimited Paid Time Off
Continuing Education Sponsorship
Bi-Annual All-Hands, Volunteering & Special Events (with baby goats in attendance)
Unlimited snacks & drinks
You choose us not only because this is the role you’ve been waiting for, but also because we are a purpose-driven company committed to our mission. You’ll be joining a group of machine learning experts, successful serial entrepreneurs, data scientists, sustainability experts, recovering consultants and national account program managers whose passion for data-driven sustainability drives us. You choose us because our values resonate with you. At Smarter Sorting this means: We do what it takes. We begin from a position of curiosity. We are driven to become experts. We are real. We have grit. You share our belief that a healthy culture is key to the company’s success and more importantly our employees’ happiness.
Better decisions. Better data. Greener planet. All made possible by the best people. Come join our team!
At Smarter Sorting, we understand that a workforce that includes a robust mix of genders, ages, ethnicities, religions and socioeconomic backgrounds is more likely to reflect a variety of perspectives and thought patterns - leading to more innovation, brainstorming, problem-solving and strategizing. That is why we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.