At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
Cloudflare’s business requires a world class legal team to help the company deal with complex matters by anticipating complications and distractions, and guiding the company around those obstacles. We’re looking for a new team member who can help foster our unique corporate philosophy and approach, in which the security and privacy of our customers are paramount. This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter and strategic thinker, who has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a great team.What you'll do
We are looking for an exceptionally talented, energetic, and friendly trade compliance specialist to join our legal team based in Austin,Texas, or Washington, DC. You will play a key role supporting the trade compliance team in managing the daily import and export compliance activities for Cloudflare in the North America and LATAM regions, and ensuring that all transactions are conducted according to internal policies and procedures, and in compliance with all international, federal, state and local regulations. This also includes developing processes, internal controls, and providing guidance and requirements to personnel concerning international trade regulations.
As part of the job, you will:
- Develop, implement, and maintain corporate trade compliance procedures; driving
company-wide compliance with global trade programs; and support various trade initiatives;
- Interface with external vendors including customs brokers, importer/exporter of record, and other government agencies to ensure the smooth and complaint handling of all aspects of the company’s shipments in North America and Latin America regions;
- Identify opportunities to streamline, harmonize and support roll-out of trade compliance best practices and implement them;
- Support business development and other corporate projects such as supply chain optimization, warehouse expansions, R&D and ODM compliance best practices;
- Conducts ongoing document and pre/post transactional audits, including customs entries, identifying and correcting errors, as well as recommending corrective actions;
- Proactively identify opportunities to reduce customs/import tax costs, mitigate risks and improve cash management strategies;
- Ensure proper use of export authorizations (licenses/agreements, exemptions, exceptions, etc.); determine and document product classification designation for parts, equipment, and technology;
- Pulls reports from the ACE system and conduct data analysis to monitor risk and compliance (e.g., tariff classification, ECCN, country of origin, value, etc.);
- Monitor relevant trade compliance developments affecting the Americas region and provide practical advice to the business;
- Provides assistance on other governmental agency requirements, e.g. FCC, embargoes, red flag issues, and other license, permit, and product certification requirements;
- Ensures full compliance for import / export transactions, including conducting gap analysis, implementation of corrective actions, audits and recordkeeping;
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, such as Data Center Operations, Hardware Sourcing, Engineering, Logistics, Finance, and Tax across multiple Cloudflare locations to resolve operational/transactional issues.
Examples of desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in international business, or equivalent import/export compliance experience.
- 5+ years relevant experience effectively managing import/export processes, and compliance with trade regulations in North America and LATAM countries.
- Knowledge of Brazilian and Mexican customs laws and regulations is a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) requirements.
- Experience with the US Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and other US and non US export laws and requirements.
- Experience in obtaining and analyzing data from US Customs and Border Protection’s Automated Commercial Enterprise (ACE) interface.
- Proven track record in leading and executing projects end-to-end.
- Experience with trade compliance system automation projects.
- Experience with analyzing and interpreting data, and driving process improvement.
- Strong decision-making skills with exceptional organization and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically as well as working to support the business operationally.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience developing and presenting training to employees is a plus.
- Embodies a high degree of integrity, confidentiality, and professionalism.
- The ability to manage multiple matters / projects for multiple teams.
- The ability to work in a team as well as independently to establish effective solutions efficiently and in an amenable manner.
- Ability to draft documents, policies, messages in a very precise manner, while still being concise and digestible for the business.
- An ambitious mindset that enables you to successfully work independently with little guidance, but also to use good judgment and call out issues when needed.
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo: We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers--at no cost.
Athenian Project: We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership: Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
22.214.171.124: We released 126.96.36.199 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use - it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal - we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at [email protected] or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.