Director of Product at Shipwell
Director, Product ManagerAbout us
Shipwell is fundamentally changing the logistics industry and breaking the mold for how supply chain have operated for centuries. We work with thousands of shippers, suppliers, 3pls, and carriers and created the first truly connected digital platform in logistics that provides real-time visibility, automation, and bullet-proof APIs. We build industry-leading connectivity solutions in the cloud using modern architecture for a very old industry that is over 15% of GDP. Come put a dent in the universe with us.
Shipwell is seeking a Director of Product Management to join us in our next phase of product growth. In this role, you will be responsible for all aspects of product management, everything from exploring new business opportunities, writing specs, coordinating with relevant stake holders, to owning big and small launches. You’ll be a central part of the company, working cross-functionally with other departments as well as with the leadership team to define the roadmap and strategy. With a product that intersects between the SaaS and e-commerce space, it’s an exciting opportunity to to build something that will have a true impact on scientific research.
You are a forward thinker who will motivate the team and enable them to produce their best work. You have a collaborative mindset that helps align everyone together around central ideas and visions. You ceaselessly endeavor to understand the root problems customers face before entertaining any solutions. You understand business objectives and work to balance speed and quality in product development. Most of all, you are a builder and a problem solver at heart, and you seek to develop thoughtful solutions that will delight our customers.
WHAT YOU WILL DO WHEN YOU GET HERE
- Lead, coach and support a highly effective team of passionate engineers to foster a high performance culture.
- Recruit world‐class engineering talent and participate in the recruiting flow including attracting, screening, and closing high caliber candidates.
- Build trusting relationships and collaborate cross departmentally to execute on company strategy.
- Set the technical direction for the team, drive the evolution of the systems architecture, and make appropriate technology choices.
- Manage the delivery of software using Agile best practices including continuous deployment, continuous integration and test driven development.
- Take a hands-‐on approach to the entire software development lifecycle: perform day-‐to-‐day project management to ensure successful, on-‐time releases; demonstrate ownership and accountability for the team’s delivery.
- Work effectively with product managers, engineers and the engineering leadership team to allocate engineering resources appropriately across various projects, including balancing customer needs with longer-‐term product roadmap needs.
- Promote a SMART codebase (Simple, Maintainable, Agile, Refactored and Tested) for a SAFE product (Secure, Available, Fast and Easy).
- Implement processes and metrics to ensure that the team is extremely efficient and focused, and that products are market ready.
- Enable a culture of creativity, collaboration, speed, innovation and excellence while continuously elevating the quality and caliber of our engineering organization.
- Create a productive work environment, and keep the team focused and fulfilled.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of Shipwell as a company and how their work fits into the bigger picture.
WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE
- BS, MS, or Ph.D in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- Proven experience leading engineering teams during the evolution of the Engineering function from start-‐up to mid lifecycle.
- Demonstrated track record of successfully hiring, managing, coaching and retaining world-‐class engineers.
- Software development experience building ASP, enterprise SaaS, cloud based solutions, or consumer web platforms supporting millions of users and billions of online transactions per month.
- Demonstrated experience leading the design, development, delivery and maintenance of large scale and high performance platforms, including online web and data/analytics processing.
- Recent experience using Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of release management and deployment workflow processes, from development release through staging and production deployment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a proven ability to build productive cross-departmental relationships and motivate team members. Must have a positive, can-do attitude and value collaboration.
- Incredible growth opportunity at one of the fastest growing companies in Austin
- Competitive Pay
- Amazing company culture
- Room to grow and tons of mentoring
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Being a part of a rapidly growing startup company
- The kitchen is fully stocked with local coffee, drinks, and snacks
- Company sponsored healthcare insurance and dental insurance
- Team building events and office competitions
- Partial cell phone reimbursement
- Receive an elite technology package to include a brand new MacBook Pro!
- Opportunity to put your thumbprint on a high-growth company in the early stages
- An open work environment where everyone, even the new folks, have a voice
Shipwell is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Shipwell, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight. We have pledged to create a diverse and culturally strong company and environment.