Insurance Product Sr. Mgr/Director – Commercial Lines at Hippo Insurance
We are seeking a Commercial lines Insurance Product Director to support front and back-end risk and portfolio decisions supporting underwriting of new commercial products and advance Hippo’s growth and profit objectives. In this role you will be accountable for developing and managing commercial lines insurance products. Our Product professionals are the primary drivers of trend identification, movers of defensive and offensive coverage options supporting the profitability of the assigned programs. You will collaborate with actuary, underwriting, and technology teams to develop and monitor insurance products, strategies, and systems that balance and optimize growth, profitability and operating costs.
The insurance product manager is a key member of the Insurance Organization, reporting to the VP of Commercial Lines.
- You have an expert-level proficiency in commercial insurance products including property, general liability and excess liability
- You are conversant and can collaborate across functional areas and with external partners to clearly define insurance mechanics, serve as subject-matter-expert in the lines of business you are assigned
- Lead with “yes”
- Are curious about outcomes and creative with solutions
- Are a trusted advisor to internal and external stakeholders
- Our managers at Hippo are very hands-on. The expectation for this role is that of a do-er rather than an observer; you will be responsible and accountable for the main deliverables
- You are detail oriented, organized, and flexible
- You have demonstrated experience taking initiative, are comfortable with ambiguity, and operate with a sense of urgency
- You are passionate about commercial insurance, InsurTech, and building creative solutions, compliantly
- You are a blended combination of strategic ability and tactical excellence
- You are the technical product subject matter expert and maintain a thorough knowledge of products and program features and benefits
- Help create incremental insurance product strategy, design coverage solutions, drive rapid insurance product development and support all state expansion efforts, including response to state objections as required
- Accountable for ensuring the products you are responsible over are programmed to meet company guidelines
- Leverage third party partnerships and API integrations when appropriate to support profitability at scale
- Monitor compliance issues at the state level and frequently collaborate with internal legal functions on critical audits/exams; with a significant influence on the outcome of the audit / exam resolutions
- Stay current on developing trends impacting the business, initiate changes opportunistically
- Monitor profitability metrics, define and make tactical decisions on how best to orchestrate product and rate-making approaches
- Perform profitability and optimization analysis as an expected deliverable of book management
- Define dashboard attributes and reporting tools needed to create visibility into the metrics you are empowered to manage
- Investigate new tooling, capabilities, integrations, and data sets to support the profitability of the assigned programs
- Manage/mentor/develop analysts
- 12+ years progressively more responsible work experience in commercial insurance-product management, underwriting, portfolio management, program management
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Commercial lines property, general liability experience required
- Commercial habitational/real-estate program experience preferred
- Solid organizational skills, detail-oriented, and ability to balance multiple priorities in an execution-focused environment
- A high degree of ownership in the results of your work, and respect for how that work impacts the broader organization
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and computing fundamentals
- Aptitude for actuarial, mathematical, modeling preferred
- Demonstrated analytical experience required
- Familiarity with alternative product structure and risk transfer approaches
- ISO (admitted) and proprietary product experience required
- Product development and state filings experience a plus
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits - 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off - Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Little Hippos Program - We offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 12 weeks for secondary caregivers.
- Hippo Habitat - Our beautiful, historic offices are in downtown Austin at the corner of 6th & Congress.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.