Principal Product Designer
ShipStation is the industry-leading provider of ecommerce fulfillment for small to medium-sized businesses. Our motto is:
- Wherever you sell.
- However you ship.
- Exceptionally efficient.
Very few people start a business because they love shipping packages. ShipStation exists to help entrepreneurs manage this painful but critical part of their business. Every improvement to our application enables an entrepreneur to invest more time in their company, their health, their hobbies or their friends and family.
ShipStation is looking for a Principal Product Designer at our Austin office.
The Principal Product Designer role is a lead individual contributor on the product design team. For this position, we're looking for strong generalists with many (7-12) years experience designing products.
We look for candidates who:
- Can ask questions that help reduce the ambiguity of any problem they are solving
- Are friendly, humble and have an openness to learning
- Have an excellent portfolio of past work
- Have an extensive background in user research methodologies
- Have experience synthesizing research into actionable next steps
- Have experience auditing and analyzing large systems from a design/information hierarchy perspective
- Have experience building scalable systems that adhere to organized rules/structures
- Visual style guides
- Pattern libraries
- Voice and tone guidelines
- Are willing to roll up their sleeves and do the hard work required at each step during the design process
- Can get up to production speed quickly given an established style guide
Design at ShipStation
- We are a growing team
- Delivering value to the business in the form of actionable product designs and experiences to help the development and product team build the best product possible in a given timeline
- Deliver actionable, 'productizable' insights about our customers
- Understand what our customers want by first understanding why they want it
- ShipStation is committed to developing a highly mature design organization
- Design maturity:
- Creating a collaborative environment with the rest of the company
- Clear career paths and transparent job descriptions
- Creating a culture of openness, honesty and excellence
- Creating systems that scale and help designers deliver consistent deliverables quickly
- Building a system of research, hypothesis testing and metrics-driven validation of designs and products
- Building and retaining a team such that individual designers are experts in the market, the suite of applications and the customers
- Building a team that is invited to help craft product strategy based on past successes, value delivered to the business, and unique knowledge about customer needs, wants, and whys
- Help create a structured research plan to answer key questions
- Coordinate and participate in on-site visits
- Synthesize customer insights with the product team
- Create next-step / action plans based on learning from on-site visits
- Information architecture
- Asking questions that build understanding of the application structure
- Map user needs and painpoints
- Participate in whiteboarding sessions to help cross-functional teams gain alignment on the problem and the solution
- Visualize complex workflows in easy-to-understand diagrams
- Production design
- Work in Sketch, Abstract and InVision
- Build InVision prototypes for stakeholder validation and user testing
- Build production-ready mockups
- Collaborate with developers on hand-off
- Collaborate with developers to QA the final release
- Work with the design to give constructive feedback on in-progress design work
- Contribute to writing clear, concise in-app copy
- Contribute to writing error messages that can easily be understood by our users
- Be proactive
- Be curious
- Be humble
- Degree in HCI, fine arts, UX or equivalent portfolio / work experience
- 7-12 years experience: wow us with your portfolio, your approach, your humility and your investment in getting it right for our customers
- Solid problem-solving skills, especially when it comes to complex workflows
- Experienced: in-depth knowledge of design disciplines and principles (user-centered design, layout, information architecture, typography / layout, ux patterns)
- Proficient: Adept with design tools like Sketch and InVision. Solid understanding of web technologies (HTML5 and CSS3)
- Collaborative: Excellent communications skills. Able to receive and incorporate feedback from peers as well as stakeholders, as well as provide constructive criticism. Enjoys working with others.
- Research-driven and customer focused: You're always looking for ways to know more about your users including both qualitative and qualitative methods for gathering data and feedback
- Talented: A portfolio of work that showcases strong design thinking (or similar) methodologies where users needs are the center of the solution.
- Organized: Can handle multiple projects at different phases of delivery at the same time, without sacrificing quality.
- Focused: a keen eye for detail and the ability to stay on task to ‘get it right’
- Team player
- Motivated: Desire to grow and improve as a person, a thinker, a designer
- Bonus: A background in web or mobile productivity apps / products, ability to do front-end coding using frameworks like Bootstrap, Angular, React, Backbone
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on your experience and portfolio. Please provide samples of your work or a link to your portfolio with your application.
What you are looking for in your career
- An office full of extremely talented, mission-driven people.
- The chance to use your skills to help a huge range of customers and business compete in the new and growing e-commerce landscape
- A company where you feel connected to and appreciated by your customers and coworkers for being great at your job
- Catered lunch at least once a week in a cool office space, in a great location inside one of the best cities in the USA (Austin!)
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Employee Stock Purchase and 401k plans
- Flexible vacation and paid holidays
- Pick your own tech gear
- Weekly catered lunch
- Drinks and snacks of your choice + beer
ShipStation is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled